SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 9-3ss and have LEDs in my city lights and license lights. They work fine when the car is on, but whenever I turn off the car they continue to flash every 4 seconds for about one minute, then turn off... anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance for your help...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 9-3ss and have LEDs in my city lights and license lights. They work fine when the car is on, but whenever I turn off the car they continue to flash every 4 seconds for about one minute, then turn off... anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance for your help...
i have done the same things with the license plate and city lights in the front corner of the headlight housing. Mine flicker after also. The reason is because LED's naturally discharge after they have been used. It isn't your car acting up, its what the bulbs are designed to do after use. I have an error code in the SID for the front one's but not the license plate (prob bc there is no resistor for my front one's). So as for 'fixing' it, im not sure you can. My other friends have LED's in their cars and the same thing happens to them also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I believe if you activate the Xenon feature in Tech2, the ECU stops pulsing the light system. You'll need to have this done if you want to add HIDs anyway

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
that is your car sending what i believe is called a pwm signal that checks to see if the bulbs are out, but because leds work off a much lower voltage any little power can set them off. can be fixed by adding 25 watt resistors to the positive and negative terminals going into the lights

·
Registered
148 Posts
hmmm... i have tried the resistors and they still do it though... i am wondering if i am doing something wrong. I was told it would happen before i installed them. I installed resistors for my HID foglights bc they were flickering like strobe lights when I turned them on. I tried applying the same method to the LED's and it didnt work. They still flicker when I turn off the car... any further suggestions?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe if you activate the Xenon feature in Tech2, the ECU stops pulsing the light system. You'll need to have this done if you want to add HIDs anyway
completely wrong in so many ways.

that is your car sending what i believe is called a pwm signal that checks to see if the bulbs are out, but because leds work off a much lower voltage any little power can set them off. can be fixed by adding 25 watt resistors to the positive and negative terminals going into the lights
you sir are correct

like what mr saab said, add some resistors to your LEDS. those are also called filter packs (saved ya a few words JonV haha) nothing is wrong with your car or lights, the actually flicker if you turn them on and off when the car is on. some people like the flicker, kind of gives off a security feature to them. i have yet to see any legit LED lights with resistors built in. i Had some hoen LED bulbs in my city lights, but the halogens roasted them after a few months. i think using the high beams for about 20mins did them in on a back road.
this is probably going to get moved anyway, not performance related, unless your LEDs add an extra 30hp that we don't know about.

·
Registered
951 Posts
At least yours turns off...mine stay blinking forever. I even bought the light from V-Leds which claim to have resistor built-in to stop cars from throwing error codes???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it seems like everyone has different experiences with their bulbs. Resistors would be a decent thing to try, but getting into the headlight is so tight I'm not sure i'd be able to make it work. The flashing is something I could get over, but I don't want to damage the car. This wouldn't have any adverse effects on the car, would it? I bought LEDs from the same company to do my Volvo and they worked just fine, so I doubt its the bulbs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
those aren't the ones i bought. Best bet is to search the internet and find the thin strips and come in different lengths. I'm not sure if that site has the ones i bought anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts