SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T - All stock.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I tried googling this, and searching the forum, and using the several facebook groups.

I want my color of the light to match my LED light strip at the top. I don't care too much for super improved lumens, but just matching the output of normal H7s.

I got the Silverstar ZXe now, and those are fine, but I care more for color.

Only thing I heard about LEDs is that they *might* flicker, and that the light is ruining the driving for the other drivers, anyone can chime in?

And is so, what LED to pick for a 2008 2.0T?

C

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Will not if you reprogram UEC to xenon.

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
PLEASE NOTE: These headlight bulbs do not have ECE approval for use on public roads: their usage is limited to ‘off-road’ applications

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've noticed that even most HID conversion kits say the same thing. It seems that if we want to stay completely legal, there is not way to upgrade light output without swapping in OEM HID parts exactly the way a factory car would have them.

So, to obey the laws, we can't really do much. So do most people who do this just hope not to get caught or end up in an at-fault accident where the car gets inspected?

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
I have yet to find an aftermarket LED headlight bulb NOT strobe / flash when the car is turned on and then flash for 30 seconds when the car is off.

If you have your DRL's still functional then you will be ok I believe, but if you have your DRL's disabled then they will strobe as you are driving with the headlights turned "off". That could be an issue for local LEO's and it's quite annoying to have happen in general.

I gave up trying them and stuck with my HID 55w Morimoto 6000k.

Recently I swapped my headlights out for some aftermarket DEPO lights which have the clear projector lenses and OMG what a difference. I have such a SHARP cut off line and they are SUPER bright.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have yet to find an aftermarket LED headlight bulb NOT strobe / flash when the car is turned on and then flash for 30 seconds when the car is off.

If you have your DRL's still functional then you will be ok I believe, but if you have your DRL's disabled then they will strobe as you are driving with the headlights turned "off". That could be an issue for local LEO's and it's quite annoying to have happen in general.

I gave up trying them and stuck with my HID 55w Morimoto 6000k.

Recently I swapped my headlights out for some aftermarket DEPO lights which have the clear projector lenses and OMG what a difference. I have such a SHARP cut off line and they are SUPER bright.
I was worried about the LED flickering. I know with other lights (tail light, turns, etc) LEDs can be used but it takes resistor and relay mods to stop the flicker and make the CANBUS happy.

I wonder about changing the light assy's on mine at some point, too. I think my reflector bowls might be failing as is known to happen. Not sure if that can be checked easily. I cleaned the Fresnel lenses already...

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Where you have Fresnel lenses in your car?

When you reprogram UEC to xenon, lights will not flash.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
The main low-beam projector lens is a Fresnel type on the back. Not hard sharp ridges like some, but very defined grooves.
Also, the 2008+ headlights, xenon and halogens alike, don't have fresnel lenses, rather they are micro-dimpled. Just as bad.

·
Registered
309 Posts
PLEASE NOTE: These headlight bulbs do not have ECE approval for use on public roads: their usage is limited to ‘off-road’ applications
Are there any HID/LED kits that DO satisfy the laws? I've only seen ones that either say they don't or don't specify (which leads me to believe they don't).

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
Where you have Fresnel lenses in your car?

When you reprogram UEC to xenon, lights will not flash.
I have mine set to Xenon and LED's still flash, I have tried many brands and seen many others with the same results. Like I mentioned, if you do not have your DRL's disabled then you probably won't have an issue as your lights are always on.

It is just like the rest of the canbus error checking system in the car not playing well with LED's. LED's take such a "small" current to illuminate that the every time the car error checks and sends the small current to the bulb, you get a blink from the LED.

Xenon mode does resolve issues with HID lights flashing, Xenon needs to be enabled for aftermarket HID lights to work properly in Halogen housings.

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
Are there any HID/LED kits that DO satisfy the laws? I've only seen ones that either say they don't or don't specify (which leads me to believe they don't).
Using any HID/LED kit in an OEM halogen housing is technically not legal.
SOME cars do perform much better than others with HID's, especially cars with OEM projector lenses such as ours. Standard lenses scatter the light and blind other drivers.

See my video above to see how well they work with our cars. There is a very sharp cut off from the cut off shield inside.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
SOME cars do perform much better than others with HID's, especially cars with OEM projector lenses such as ours. Standard lenses scatter the light and blind other drivers.

See my video above to see how well they work with our cars. There is a very sharp cut off from the cut off shield inside.
Super impressed with those headlights being that sharp out of the box - they must have ran out of fresnel lenses!!

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
Super impressed with those headlights being that sharp out of the box - they must have ran out of fresnel lenses!!
I was SO happy to see how clear they were and how WAHHBAMMM they were driving down the road. I purposely went out a few nights for a drive so I could enjoy them LOL ;ol;;ol;

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I was SO happy to see how clear they were and how WAHHBAMMM they were driving down the road. I purposely went out a few nights for a drive so I could enjoy them LOL ;ol;;ol;
I could tell how excited you were in the video - you were clearly holding back ;ol;

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
I could tell how excited you were in the video - you were clearly holding back ;ol;
LMAO I just listened to myself and let me explain.

This was a couple weeks after installation, 5am on my ride to work and you see that damn road I have to deal with? How happy would you be ??? hahahhaaaa

I was probably thinking about the trailing arm bushings in the garage that I have to do next from that road LOL

·
Registered
309 Posts

That video was awesome at showing how much light gets out there.

So, it sounds like our halogen housings have good lens and cut-off shields such that a HID or LED swap will provide a good boost without creating the 'blind everyone in front of me with HID scatter' condition.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
LMAO I just listened to myself and let me explain.

This was a couple weeks after installation, 5am on my ride to work and you see that damn road I have to deal with? How happy would you be ??? hahahhaaaa

I was probably thinking about the trailing arm bushings in the garage that I have to do next from that road LOL
Don't even start. Our roads are literally causing me depression

1 - 20 of 24 Posts