SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3 (9440) 2.0 T B207R 4-inline, Turbo - Petrol 5-spd auto / FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put LED bulbs in my 2007 9-3 2.0t sport sedan. I am seeing that a bunch of people have run into the Lights flickering when the car is off or seeing an error message displayed on the dash. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this and how to avoid these issues?
New to Saab ownership and this is my first post. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why use LED's? What's wrong with the original lighting? Saab did an excellent job with the lighting system on these cars. Well thought out and ahead of it's time (IMO). Also a fairly complex system, for the time. Yes, flickering, error messages, blown fuses, burnt wires/sockets, etc. are all possibilities when "poppin in" a couple LED's. Bulbs and LED's have entirely different electrical and heat properties. The trick is finding an LED that closely mimics the properties of the bulb. Tall order with lots of trial, error and research (and I ain't no "lighting engineer" lol). Why complicate things and risk damaging a really well designed system? Simplest way to "avoid these issues" is to stick with OEM. But, that's just me.... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't to argue with you on that one. Saab was way ahead of its time and many aspects and while I also agree that the stock headlight bulbs are pretty great I currently live in a hurricane stricken area riddled with debris and almost all of our street lights have been destroyed And there is almost no visibility at night, That being said I have seen that some people have successfully used the conversion kits in their cars and not run into issues because it was done properly the first time. Looking for some insight and someone with knowledge on how to do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, you're in the right place, that's for sure!! If some of the "members" have had success with LED conversions, I'm sure they'll be "chiming in" before long.
Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It just comes down to getting LED bulbs that will use the same connections for power, and making sure they either have an anti-flicker ballast built-in or added between the bulb and the power connection.

I did a full halogen style to LED projector conversion in my 2001 9-3.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I use Plilips Xtreme Ultinon LED H7 in low beams.
You need to change UEC programming to "xenon 2" with TECH2. No more flickering or warning messages.

You CAN NOT use leds in high beams, because they are PWM powered and you cn not change it. You will have warning messages and flickering.

Tail lights: You CAN NOT change them to leds, they will not work (tail light and brake light are in same filament) and you will have warning messages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just comes down to getting LED bulbs that will use the same connections for power, and making sure they either have an anti-flicker ballast built-in or added between the bulb and the power connection.

I did a full halogen style to LED projector conversion in my 2001 9-3.
Thank you very much for the information I have been looking at LED bulbs with the can bus decoder and wanted to make sure that that was the correct option to go with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Plilips Xtreme Ultinon LED H7 in low beams.
You need to change UEC programming to "xenon 2" with TECH2. No more flickering or warning messages.

You CAN NOT use leds in high beams, because they are PWM powered and you cn not change it. You will have warning messages and flickering.

Tail lights: You CAN NOT change them to leds, they will not work (tail light and brake light are in same filament) and you will have warning messages.
Very good information, and I appreciate your feedback. I definitely only want to go LED with my headlights, my tail lights and brake lights are very bright and having the rear fog lights also helps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also, at least for the newer 9-3 headlights, the "main" or "high" beam bulbs have funny adapters that make fitting LED bulbs difficult. As @Mimmi states, a Tech2 is needed to reprogram the UEC to Xenon mode to disable the bulb-check programming. The "low" or "dipped" beam projectors in the newer headlamp housings have a good cutoff on them so most decent LED bulbs will work without being a nuisance to other drivers.

I like my LED low-beams; they complement the LED eyebrow lights on my 08. It was a small fight to make then work though.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Thank you very much for the information I have been looking at LED bulbs with the can bus decoder and wanted to make sure that that was the correct option to go with.
Do not buy them, they will not work.
If you have so much extra money, send them to me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like my LED low-beams; they complement the LED eyebrow lights on my 08. It was a small fight to make then work though.
What bulbs did you use for your 2008? The dipped beam changed to H11 in NA market that year...

EDIT: Ah, NM, I forgot about that post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts