SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone else who have replaced their flashers with LED lamps instead get that 'something's-wrong-with-me' fast flashing of their signals? I'm wondering if there's a relay for our cars or for another car that might fit our car that was designed to be compatible with LED lamps? I think the current drain of an LED is too low for the relay to recognize perhaps...but then putting a current-drawing resistor there seems just kinda dumb...:nono;

li Arc

·
Registered
197 Posts
li Arc said:
Hey guys, has anyone else who have replaced their flashers with LED lamps instead get that 'something's-wrong-with-me' fast flashing of their signals? I'm wondering if there's a relay for our cars or for another car that might fit our car that was designed to be compatible with LED lamps? I think the current drain of an LED is too low for the relay to recognize perhaps...but then putting a current-drawing resistor there seems just kinda dumb...:nono;

li Arc
I attempted to put an LED cluster in the side marker turn signals, and the car would "fast flash" because the LED lights do not have enough amperage for the car to recongize that there are actually lights in there ... which means you need to trick the car into thinking there is a bulb in place ... which means using a relay, or something that will draw enough power.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
muhawalter said:
Wouldn't putting a large resister before the LED circuit, fix this?
Indeed.

You've got 14v, with a load of 21w+21w+c.5w+c.2w. So the relay is designed to "expect" a certain resistance. Lower the resistance of the bulbs, so they're only drawing a couple of watt instead of 21w, and the relay will be able to flash much quicker - that's exactly what causes the "You've got a bulb gone" symptoms.

If you buy LED bulbs intended for indicators, they should include resistors.

F'rexample...
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-360-degree-amber-bulb-pair-c-w-resistors-c-613-p-1-pr-16690.html

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
The flasher relay can be replaced - it's just a simple three-pin one. In my previous C900's I fitted one which required two of three wires to be 'swapped' to opposite positions in the socket under the dash, after which it worked. Been ages though so don't recall what the relay was. There are plenty of generic flasher relays around now that aren't current-draw-dependent to set the flash rate.

I'm trying to get one to go in my 2.1 sedan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts