SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched around the forum and everything and I can't really find my answer..what type of LED should you use to replace the stock city lights with? I know the bulb number is 194 but there are several different styles of LED's and I wasn't sure if one was better than the other. Is there a certain amount of wattage I'm supposed to be focusing on? Also, if someone could post some links to some good places to buy these at it would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
When my city lights went out I replaced them with PIAA W5W platinum super white. I paid $13 for the pair. I’ve read that the LED city lights can look too bright, so I went with these. These bulbs aren’t overly bright at all. They have a very slight shade of blue, but the light isn’t distracting. These city lights are rated at 3800k. Although I’m happy with the look of these city lights, the PIAA Xtreme whites may have a slightly less blue color as they are rated at 4150k.

Or you can go the easy route and just disconnect your working city light. My friend disconnected his city lights and it actually looks pretty good. When my city lights burn out again I am just going to disconnect them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
So I searched around the forum and everything and I can't really find my answer..what type of LED should you use to replace the stock city lights with? I know the bulb number is 194 but there are several different styles of LED's and I wasn't sure if one was better than the other. Is there a certain amount of wattage I'm supposed to be focusing on? Also, if someone could post some links to some good places to buy these at it would be appreciated! Thanks
W5W or 194 is the bulb. or wedge.
and i find it kind of unbeliveable that you didn't find anything b/c there are several different threads about.
as for where to buy them, google it.
prepare for them to strobe or flicker once you put them in.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I got some 5w online. Blue something? I can't remember the name. They look blue but have nice white light. Since they are tiny they don't reflect the blue color in the housing like I was afraid they would do. Remember, actual led lights will flicker because of the bulb check when the car is turned off. You can test and fit different resistors to get rid of that but not sure if anyone actually got that to work yet.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
don't.

without resistors you're wasting your time.

google "Polarg M4"

they are the cheapest and closest to a nice LED bulb (without being LED) you will find.

So you put in the Load equalizers and there fine..... It's the OP's choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm going to get some of the Polarg M4's. I don't really feel like dealing with resistors and the m4's have a nice look to them. I'll post before and after pics after I put them in

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
don't.

google "Polarg M4"

they are the cheapest and closest to a nice LED bulb (without being LED) you will find.
That's what I used. I'll throw up a picture later tonight. So far I'm happy with them. They appear to match the HIDs fairly well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So you put in the Load equalizers and there fine..... It's the OP's choice.
Did you put them in your car? From what I remember people never found what value was actually needed to stop the blinking. Or maybe people really just didn't try.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just put the M4 bulbs in and here's pictures to show the difference between them and the halogens. The bulbs appear less blue in person but you can still see the difference here..

Before:

After:

With all my lights on (6000k low beams and fogs):

·
Registered
525 Posts
Phil thanks for posting pictures, made my decision a no-brainer.
don't.

google "Polarg M4"

Thanks Will, ordered mine tonight

P.S. Buy another Saab :D

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I just removed mine.

exactly what i did....headlight looks so much better without the city lights; the crips blue color of the HIDs fills in the headlight and looks niceeeeeeeeeee!!! :cheesy:

On the other hand ... still looks good PhilC

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just want to know how the heck did you guys get access in there to replace the bulb. I tried but space is so tight. Did yu guys remve air filter, batter covers, washer fluid etc?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i want to get another saab some time, once they're completely value-less! :p

as for removing them.. don't be afraid to hold the two wires and give it a nice tug. the bulb will pop right out, and you can just sorta wedge it back in. at least that's how i've always done it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts