SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using Gliptone Cleaner and Conditioner on my very light tan leather seats.

I've used other conditioners in the past, but the leather really could do with a clean too.

Any advice ?

There are some splits (not tears or holes) in the leather on the drivers seat base. Should I use the cleaner on this or will it make make it worse ?

Regards

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Gliptone works ok but I have never found it really makes it supple, smell nice yes, supple no.

For the feel, I prefer Leatherique but then usually do Gliptone a while later to help with the smell.

David.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David

Did it get the leather clean though ?

And did you dare get it into cracks (no rude coments) ?

Regards

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Either Gliptone cleaner or the leatherique cleaner won't harm the leather or the cracks. It cracks because it has been allowed to dry out. The leatherique stuff is a two part process, first cleaner, then an oil which you leave to soak in and than can expand the leather again closing small cracks.

The Gliptone cream while claiming to do the same, in my experience just doesn't penetrate to the same degree.

Here's a during and after on one of my seats with the Leatherique oil. It has been on for about a day. I've left it over a week before. They claim on their website that the oil and cleaner closes the fibres and forces out the sweat and other things that get into the seat, hence not to worry about the white stuff, that's just goo. :) Also, just keep adding oil until it ceases to be absorbed.

Gliptone says clean first then nourish, Leatherique says oil first, close the fibres, force the gunk to the surface *then* use the cleaner to wipe it off. Take your pick, the Leatherique you just put into a spray bottle, warm it up, pick a nice warm day and then spray on and work in with your hands. It leaves your hands smelling nice too. The Gliptone leaves you smelling a bit like a dead cow.

Either way, if the leather has been neglected for the first 10 years, don't expect it to be revived after just one wipe over with either product. Like I said, that's what I found most with the Gliptone, it just didn't absorb so you wipe it on with a cloth and wipe off and it just doesn't absorb or last as well.

Worst case scenario is if someone has used silicone based "shine it all up" type products as they tend to seal the leather fibres and then nothing penetrates.

Gliptone you already know about, here's Leatherique's website, take a look at some of the leather restoration. It's actually fascinating doing a Google for leather restoration. You'll find people rubbing down their leather with glasspaper before recolouring and you're worried about a few cracks? ;)

Seat during

Seat after

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Is Lexol available in your market? Made by a company in the US (Georgia to be exact) they make a cleaner and a leather treatment both of which are excellent products.

·
Banned
637 Posts
I've been buying using Conally Bros Hide Food (owned a half Dozen Jags ) since 'early 70's NOTHING is better. Bought some Lexol recently after some serious Sales Lobbying..
Result: It's CRAP..
DO NOT buy it... simply does not live up to it's claims, in ANY way, shape or Form.
Again Conally Bros: Hide Food is absolutely the best you can buy , nothing even comes close.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you tried to find 'hide food' lately?
Conolly went out of business a while ago
and you can't get the stuff anymore.
Do you have a source?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Superaero said:
Is Lexol available in your market? Made by a company in the US (Georgia to be exact) they make a cleaner and a leather treatment both of which are excellent products.
Saw that stuff not only in Advance auto parts... . duh.. but also at a stable store for saddles. Now, if it's good enough for a $5000 dollar saddle, it can't be all bad...right?.. i'm gonna pick some up from work soon and find out though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i have a similar problem with my seats, kind of cracks rather than tears or splits. i bought some gliptone scuff stuff, am very nervous about using it in case its the wrong colour etc - there are two bottles for my seats, 50.50 choice. do you think leatherique would be better than the scuff treatment / once you use this leatherique is it a real pain to clean off to use the scuff liquid?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've tried Connolly hide food in the past and find that the Leatherique is much better, it doesn't leave the waxy feel behind.

The Leatherique oil is not a coating, it just aims to rehydrate the leather fibres making it supple, there's no problem using the scuffcote with Leatherique, i've done that - no worries.

The Gliptone scuff coat is just a water based dye.

Daivd.

·
Banned
637 Posts
spgeed said:
Have you tried to find 'hide food' lately?
Conolly went out of business a while ago
and you can't get the stuff anymore.
Do you have a source?
Yikes.. did not know that!
Last got some a couple of years ago at my Local Jaguar dealer... no mention was made of the Connoly disapearance.
I Will soon be out of supply, this could be a problem.. hopefully not?
Will have to start looking seriously.
One thing I have found is that the Saab leather is markedly different than Jaguars'.. it does not appear to be Analine dyed for a start.. which means the absorption of conditioners (lanolin) is markedly reduced inna Saab...as 'most' treatments have genuine difficulties getting past the surface sealing... ergo the 'waxy' residue complaints....also explains the lack of leather 'smell' amoungst other things.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Lexol is "crap"?? What do you mean by this? I use it and it works fine. Our local custom upholstery shop sells nothing else.

Do you have any facts to back up such a definite opinion?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unfortunatly for us the leather used by SAAB isn't what you would call top notch. Whatever conditioner you use it's not likely to penetrate the finish. It may make it feel/smell different but it's not getting thru to the core of the leather.
When it gets so bad you can't stand it, get some fancy sheepskin covers or get the seats reupholstered or stretch your favorite old t-shirts over them.
The t-shirt option is especially nice.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got the full kit from Gliptone - Cleaner, Dye and conditioner.
The cleaner seemed OK, but no way to really tell.
Yes, the dye was water-soluble aniline, but every little scratch and blemish was gone when the job was done.
As David says, the conditioner didn't seem to make the leather much more supple, but oh boy was that smell of real English leather ever good at the end!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts