SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant seem to catch a break with the saabs lately...

Decided to clean the sedan today (2006) and when I took out the mats I noticed that the carpet in the drivers side footwell was absolutely drenched....
Used my mouth to blow some air through the A/C drain, it seemed to be fine. Poured some water down it for good measure. Don't know if the sunroof drain was blocked or not, but when I funneled in some hot water it seemed to flow down fine.

Loosened the headliner to get a better look. Had someone pour water down as I looked, it seems to go down fine. Had them spray a hose over a closed sunroof and I saw 3 drips fall from here:
Audio equipment Gas Gadget Automotive lighting Peripheral

Sorry for the poor picture, im talking about the inside edge for the plastic frame. There is some water ingress, hard to imagine this particular drip flooded my footwell.
No way was the underlayment gonna dry in the car. Taking the entire mat out looked like it was going to be a pita, so I just cut the bottom out.

Human body Font Artifact Wood Art

Here is a photo of the footwell:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Automotive design Automotive exterior

After pouring water down the windshield for a couple minutes, I noticed a drip of water coming out of that rust spot:

Hat Art Helmet Tints and shades Circle

Gonna try to seal this leak off before winter, hopefully it is easy to get at from the outside.

Again, hard to imagine these two leaks caused total saturation. Maybe my sunroof drain was clogged and I unfroze it when I poured water down it? Anyone else having trouble with leaks? I cant see the bottom of the sunroof drain, how can I make sure water isnt pooling up down there? Anywhere else I should have a look at?

On a side note, is it normal for my A/C drain to have a kink like this? If not, how do I straighten it out?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good catch …as disturbing as it no doubt it is. Mine is a 2006 as well with 200 K on the clock. I should probably check my carpet too but today to date I haven’t had a sunroof or air-conditioning drain issue. I’m curious about the circumstances of how and where are you park your car. During the summer I keep my old BMW airhead motorcycle in my garage bay and my car is parked outdoors on my short driveway which is tilted about 10° down pointing at the garage door. In the winter time the car is parked in the garage. I don’t know if any of this has anything to do with potential issues but I’ve been lucky so far. I should also add that I don’t operate my sunroof but just leave it closed because I know how delicate the aging clips are in the sunroof mechanism. Don’t know if that measure has help me out or not. Please keep us informed of your progress in resolving this leakage issue.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The AC drain doesn't look blocked, but will stop bits of debris eventually. I speak from experience of my earlier version smaller diameter tubes, which were blocked by stuff which presumably drops off the filter face, at the filter box spigot. This was a half inch nozzle feeding into a 1/4 inch tube. What could possibly go wrong? (The screw is just to give scale).

Material property Tableware Glass Auto part Fashion accessory

You have the larger bore revised pipe, and I retrofitted those to my '04.

Solutions - I wonder whether its possible to remove the pipe at both ends and reverse it, thereby placing the kink towards the floor outlet, on a relatively straight section. Or fashion a stiff metal 'C' shape and use it to force the kink back into shape.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Some more bad news...
I think the bulk of the water must have been coming in through that rust hole. Here is a picture of it after I cleaned it up.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Water Automotive wheel system

Unfortunately you cannot get to the other side of that rust hole. I think it is inside of the frame rail.
Im currently in the process of applying por15 over the area. Not sure what the best way to seal it off is. I might just slather on a bunch of seam sealer and hope for the best.

If you guys have any ideas, im all ears.
Also, where does the cowl drain to?

As for the kinked tube, I will try submerging it in boiling water. Hopefully that will help bring it back to circular form. If that fails Ill try to see if I can disconnect it from the other end.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would probably try the seam sealer as well. Or really cleaning it up a lot (so you can weld to metal) and welding a patch over it. I would still try pushing a weed trimmer line or something down the drain to make sure its just not slower than it should be. Remember the sun roof is not completely sealed against the roof so some water makes it past and goes down the drains. Sometimes the drains can't keep up if they are partially blocked. The drain ends somewhere behind the metal layers I think. I have never found it.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
That rust hole is unfortunate. That's in the front of the footwell?

I agree that cleaning up a fair way around it and a patch panel would be ideal, otherwise a lot of sealant and keep an eye on the area.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure welding would be ideal in this situation, as that is where the two panels meet. If I weld over the panels and seam seal around it, I feel like I'd likely trap in some moisture. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are quite a few contours and bends in this general area. I think tt would be difficult to shape a patch panel for this area. But Im not a body guy and I dont know what im talking about.

Its been raining pretty steadily for the past day. Sunroof looks to be dry. Floorboard had a drop of water come in.

That rust hole is unfortunate. That's in the front of the footwell?
Yes right under the pedal area.

Here is a photo after two coats of por15. I took it back and cleaned a little more around the area.

Fluid Gas Automotive lighting Tints and shades Liquid

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled the cowl today, there are three drain points. One into each of the fenders, and one in the middle. The middle one drains right into the engine bay. I have no idea how I never noticed it before. There was a ton of debris that I cleaned out, nothing that would stop it from draining. All drains seem to be operating fine, all plugs seem to be in place.

Pulled the drivers fender to get a better look
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Fender

Here is the path that the water takes when draining from the cowl.

The other side of the rust hole is definitely inside the frame rail. Shining a flashing into one of the holes lights up the cabin.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fixture

Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Tool

There is also a big opening into the frame rail from the inside of the engine compartment. There is no way to stop water getting in there. So I assume its just normal operation, and it drains under the car.

By spraying water into the cowl it can get the hole to drip water into the cabin. Only a single drop every few seconds.

What I think I'm going to do is patch the small holes with the por15+fiberglass mat technique for strength. Then slather the entire thing in seam sealer. I'll try to keep the inside of that frame rail drenched with fluid film to help slow down future rusting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After two layers of fiberglass mat and probably like 5 coats of por15
World Asphalt Road surface Water Art

I decided to mould a small patch panel then use seam sealer to stick it in place. I've done this before and it seems to work fairly well. I used some Napa seam sealer I got because it was on sale. This garbage does not want to dry. Its been on there three days and it's still soft. This stuff is not made for thick applications. I read online that other people have been having the same issue with the Napa stuff... There is no way in hell im going to try and scrape all that stuff off. I'll give it another day before I cover it up and forget about it.

Wood Art Tints and shades Paint Tree

·
Registered
90 Posts
That sounds like a plan. I don't know how many 9-5s rust down there; yours is the first one that I can recall hearing. Lucky you. 😳
Also the 900s. My 88 Saab Spg has the drain hole exiting over the front end as well, and the same rust spot. I cleaned it up and put a coat of JB weld on it. Stopped the water, but not the rust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Solutions - I wonder whether its possible to remove the pipe at both ends and reverse it, thereby placing the kink towards the floor outlet, on a relatively straight section. Or fashion a stiff metal 'C' shape and use it to force the kink back into shape.
Unfortunately the hose cannot be flipped around because both ends are different size diameters, The other end also has a plastic barb that I think may be glued in. I tried twisting it 180 degrees to get the bend on the other side, but that somehow led to an even worst double kink. In the end I just decided to leave it like it was, gonna have to keep on eye on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts