SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My current Saab is a 900V6, its 11 years old and it leaks!

I was wondering how much leakage should be expected from an old car, im not talking about anything major - just little drops of oil on the driveway every now and then.

When it was last serviced the mechanic said it was impossible to place exactly where anything is coming from so I would have to have it steam cleaned to find out.

Is this worth worrying about or is it just normal for an old car?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Small, occasional leaks probably aren't that big a deal, but you should check all fluid levels (power steering, oil, antifreeze, transmission oil. brake fluid) routinely to avoid trouble.

Steam cleaning to track down the source isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Steam cleaning to track down the source isn't a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Then you have a pretty decent idea wether you should or shouldn't do something about it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The rate of fluid loss ( and which one) will determine if action is necessary, so monitor the levels on a regular schedule..

I know I have some seepage at the power steering pump - it is maybe 10 drips per 1,000 miles !
Another 10 to 20 at the head gasket or the VC gasket...
I should retorque the head bolts......and renew the VC seal....

But she has yet to "mark her spot" as Volkswagens are known to do....

And take a look at any Pep Boys parking lot- it may be necessary for a man to wear anti-slip boots !!

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The V6 will weep oil from the rocker cover gaskets often, also the sump seal gets past its best eventually.

Transmission leaks are common an all manuals, the input selector seal is really bad, but also the output shaft seals can be troublesome too.

My V6 drips nothing parked but does lose oil from the tranny from the three seals mentioned [selector seal the worst]

I've changed the crank front seal on one of the 9000's recently [4 cyl] easy enough job but this car was dripping oil when parked.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I never understood why most parking lots look like the EPA will shut them down at any moment...then I bought a SAAB :lol: :evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts