SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been a battle for a year now, but my roof is leaking. I am very new to this forum posting wise, but I have read so many posts about this same issue. That being said I have tried to waterproof and retreat my rubber seals but the leak still is there. Three days ago I used 303 canvas cleaner to fully clean my roof. I then rinsed it off let that dry. While it was drying I took a toothbrush and soapy water and went around all the rubber seals above my windows everywhere, all the rubber and the edge of the canvas above the windows (where the mold usually would accumulate) and I did it very very thoroughly they looked new. I then took chemical guys vrp and a microfiber cloth to retreat all the rubber I also did that very very thoroughly. Especially the places where the rubber pieces join and are supposed to make a seal. I then checked my 2 drainage holes that are in the front of the car the run down next to the side mirror. No blockage it seemed. I then closed my roof let it dry completely from the cleaner. I applied my first coat of 303 fabric guard a light coat and let that dry for 30 min to an hour. Mind you it is 85-90 degrees out so after it wasn’t visibly wet I applied a second coat let that dry for an hour and 30 min. It again was visibly dry and to the touch so I went ahead and applied my last coat but I read that some people roll on there fabric protector with a paint roller. So the first 2 layers were just the spray and the 3rd application was with a paint roller. I let my car sit out in the sun the remainder of the day and the whole day after that so after 2 days of drying it’s first test happened last night. It was down pouring the whole night. I checked it out this morning and what do you know it leaked a little bit. It’s better than before but water is still getting in. It looks like the it’s leaking from the rubber joints ( pictures will be added) it got my back carpet wet and also the grey roof like lining that u see when you’re in the car. The middle like above the center console is dryer than the edges. And also based on where I think it’s leaking from I feel like it’s not draining correctly and getting backed up and leaking through the pathways above the windows. The water has to be sitting somewhere up there bc when I drive a bunch of water comes out, so I think somewhere it isn’t draining right and just overflowing somewhere or soemthing not too sure that’s why I’m here. I really just want to fix this because it’s really annoying me. Please if you have any question let me know I’m hoping I can get this fixed thanks to y’all.
Please take a look at the pictures
Plant Automotive lighting Water Automotive tire Fixture

Water Automotive tire Liquid Hood Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Your text is extreme hard to read because it is only words after words. I stopped reading after 1st row.
From pic, I'd say that you need to use textile impregnation to make roof watertight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your text is extreme hard to read because it is only words after words. I stopped reading after 1st row.
From pic, I'd say that you need to use textile impregnation to make roof watertight.
Sorry that it is hard to read I tried to explain everything so whoever decided to read the whole thing completely understood the issue. Not too sure what textile impregnating is but I used 303 fabric guard to reseal the roof.

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
533 Posts
Im not sure now, i know on the og vert theres places in the back where water can drain but idk if theyre actual holes in the weatherstrip like in the front or not

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Writing without paragraph breaks is like someone taking a breath and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking..... People tune out.

If the top is leaky, water will get into the rails, and then appear in random places above the windshield, or dripping out of the side rail joints.

If the car has been sitting in the rain, not driven, and you get water dripping from the windshield header, I'm pretty sure the problem is a leaky fabric top. The side rail weatherstrips can leak when the car is sitting, but the front really shouldn't.

I'd say that either the 303 isn't doing its job, or the top is beyond fixing. However, might as well try some more top sealing.

I used Autoglym top cleaner/sealer, and it sure helped my CV top, and in one application. I don't know if you can find the Autoglym stuff in the US. Here I can pick it up off the shelf at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Sorry that it is hard to read I tried to explain everything so whoever decided to read the whole thing completely understood the issue. Not too sure what textile impregnating is but I used 303 fabric guard to reseal the roof.
You did it again. Hard to read because it has only words after words.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Writing without paragraph breaks is like someone taking a breath and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking..... People tune out.

If the top is leaky, water will get into the rails, and then appear in random places above the windshield, or dripping out of the side rail joints.

If the car has been sitting in the rain, not driven, and you get water dripping from the windshield header, I'm pretty sure the problem is a leaky fabric top. The side rail weatherstrips can leak when the car is sitting, but the front really shouldn't.

I'd say that either the 303 isn't doing its job, or the top is beyond fixing. However, might as well try some more top sealing.

I used Autoglym top cleaner/sealer, and it sure helped my CV top, and in one application. I don't know if you can find the Autoglym stuff in the US. Here I can pick it up off the shelf at Canadian Tire.
Thank you so much for the feed back, any suggestions on how to check if the fabric top is beyond repair or not?

Also I was really in a rush to get the post out so sorry for no paragraphs. Thank you anyway for responding though.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
You might want to do a search (using google or something else) for waterproofing Saab convertible tops. There's probably more information on the older models, such as the previous 9-3 and 900, simply because they've been around longer and therefore need more care. I believe that lots of people have successfully treated their Saab convertible tops with 303.....but some have not. There may be useful info there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I just treated the top with 2 bottles of Chemical Guys SPI_193_16 Convertible Top Protectant and Repellent for a total of 6 coats on the top 4 from Chemical guys and 2 from ragtop. I highy recommend using a cheap plastic drop cloth to cover the windows as it's hard to get this stuff of glass. I'll wait until it rains and report back.
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this has been a battle for a year now, but my roof is leaking. I am very new to this forum posting wise, but I have read so many posts about this same issue. That being said I have tried to waterproof and retreat my rubber seals but the leak still is there. Three days ago I used 303 canvas cleaner to fully clean my roof. I then rinsed it off let that dry. While it was drying I took a toothbrush and soapy water and went around all the rubber seals above my windows everywhere, all the rubber and the edge of the canvas above the windows (where the mold usually would accumulate) and I did it very very thoroughly they looked new. I then took chemical guys vrp and a microfiber cloth to retreat all the rubber I also did that very very thoroughly. Especially the places where the rubber pieces join and are supposed to make a seal. I then checked my 2 drainage holes that are in the front of the car the run down next to the side mirror. No blockage it seemed. I then closed my roof let it dry completely from the cleaner. I applied my first coat of 303 fabric guard a light coat and let that dry for 30 min to an hour. Mind you it is 85-90 degrees out so after it wasn’t visibly wet I applied a second coat let that dry for an hour and 30 min. It again was visibly dry and to the touch so I went ahead and applied my last coat but I read that some people roll on there fabric protector with a paint roller. So the first 2 layers were just the spray and the 3rd application was with a paint roller. I let my car sit out in the sun the remainder of the day and the whole day after that so after 2 days of drying it’s first test happened last night. It was down pouring the whole night. I checked it out this morning and what do you know it leaked a little bit. It’s better than before but water is still getting in. It looks like the it’s leaking from the rubber joints ( pictures will be added) it got my back carpet wet and also the grey roof like lining that u see when you’re in the car. The middle like above the center console is dryer than the edges. And also based on where I think it’s leaking from I feel like it’s not draining correctly and getting backed up and leaking through the pathways above the windows. The water has to be sitting somewhere up there bc when I drive a bunch of water comes out, so I think somewhere it isn’t draining right and just overflowing somewhere or soemthing not too sure that’s why I’m here. I really just want to fix this because it’s really annoying me. Please if you have any question let me know I’m hoping I can get this fixed thanks to y’all.
Please take a look at the pictures
View attachment 290696
View attachment 290695
View attachment 290694
Looks & sounds like same problem I had for 2 years. Lift up roof. Check top corners of each side of windscreen. My rubber seals had split. Used black silicon sealant, to fill split. The door window glass, seals against the rubber when door closed. So I carefully filled split to keep shape of rubber seal. Closed doors & allowed to set. Bone dry since.
So easy, can’t believe I didn’t notice earlier, but in Scotland we don’t have roof down very often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts