SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As might be obvious from the fact that I'm posting numerous questions on different topics in the span of a day, I'm finally getting around to trying to get my car ship-shape. I was looking at the dried liquid that had settled on top of my transmission, and had been an idiot and assumed it was oil. My friend pointed out that the transmission is right underneath the power steering reservoir, and that was in fact the culprit.

It is leaking from two of the rubber hoses that it connects to- I found a couple of replacement reservoirs online, but do I need to replace those hoses too? they are 21-year-old rubber hoses, so I'm guessing I want to fix them too- are there any tutorials on that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually it's just the hoses that leak, rarely the reservoir.
Thank you! I looked at it again with a flashlight and it is the hoses- I found rubber OEM replacements for them online, but can I just use some flexible silicone hosing of the same diameter instead?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot use silicone with power steering - you need to use appropriately rated hose.
Yup! Feel stupid- I knew you couldn't for oil and gas or any other liquid I'm not quite sure why I didn't think power steering fluid was a liquid...

On the diagram here its lines G and E... for E i don't see why i couldn't just replace with an (appropriate hose), but for G do i need to replace the metal tubing too, or can I just cut off the short rubber ends and clamp on new ones?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Do the hoses actually have holes in them?

If there is a problem right at the reservoir, sometimes cutting off the bad part and reconnecting and clamping well will work.

I have not experienced unpressurized hydraulic hoses going bad with age. Rubbing or other mechanical damage, sure. But the reservoir is not pressurized, so it's not like there's a lot of strain on the hoses running to it.

·
Registered
19,439 Posts
What EdT said... trim 1/2" off the ends, re-clamp, see if that works.

Hose "E" is difference sizes at the two ends. One is around 10mm, the other end around 13mm. It can't be replaced with a standard piece of hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts