SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 9-3 Convertible 2.0 Turbo Ecopower
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been investigating the source of a hydraulic fluid leak in my convertible roof. I found that the lines going into the drive unit are leaking around their connections.

Further investigation found that one of the tork head bolts that holds the three central lines in place had a crossed thread. Unfortunately the problem was not with the thread on the bolt, but rather with the threaded cavity inside the aluminium block. Just removing the bolt stripped the what little thread was holding on completely out of the block.

This appears to me as though it is game over for the drive unit. I have checked the EPC and it looks as though the hydraulic line block is not a replaceable part. I fear my only option is to replace the whole drive unit.

Always worth a check of the forums before laying out for expensive parts. So has anyone had any experiences/advice they can share about replacing/rebuilding the drive unit? Particularly any modifications anyone may have come across for the hydraulic line connections (it really is a very poorly designed system) or recommendations for suppliers of a drive unit.

Any advice/thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Signature.png

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I've been investigating the source of a hydraulic fluid leak in my convertible roof. I found that the lines going into the drive unit are leaking around their connections.

Further investigation found that one of the tork head bolts that holds the three central lines in place had a crossed thread. Unfortunately the problem was not with the thread on the bolt, but rather with the threaded cavity inside the aluminium block. Just removing the bolt stripped the what little thread was holding on completely out of the block.

This appears to me as though it is game over for the drive unit. I have checked the EPC and it looks as though the hydraulic line block is not a replaceable part. I fear my only option is to replace the whole drive unit.

Always worth a check of the forums before laying out for expensive parts. So has anyone had any experiences/advice they can share about replacing/rebuilding the drive unit? Particularly any modifications anyone may have come across for the hydraulic line connections (it really is a very poorly designed system) or recommendations for suppliers of a drive unit.

Any advice/thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

View attachment 280794
Remove the assembly and helicoil the damaged female thread or threads ?
I havent done this to this particular part but its a good general solution . If its a skillset outside your range , any local machine shop should be able to Repair.
If you want to replace lines , look at local hydraulic chains ( enzed etc ) They should be able to fit new lines to your old fittings

·
Registered
986 Posts
I wouldn't go with a helicoil, just tap it the next size up, the drilled hole with removed threads is already done, just run the tap in and get a new bolt. IIRC the distance between the hoses for that bolt is pretty small, so care will need to be taken.
cheers

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I think in this instance the retap is a good option. If you can, switching to SAE thread may allow a retap while taking very little material away.

·
Registered
2002 9-3 Convertible 2.0 Turbo Ecopower
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update... after considering my options, I have purchased a second hand pump.

I live in a rural area so there are no machine shops around. I considered both a helicoil and re-tapping solution but thought the tolerances were too tight to go either way.

Of course this replacement pump is the more expensive option... but at least now I have a simple straight swap job to do and a heap of salvageable spare parts to break down from the old pump.

Thanks again guys for the support. I really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts