SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have alot of coolant leaking from my car. so is getting into the oil, i think its the head gasket, what about you guys? the only other thing i could think of is the turbo but its only got about 50xxx miles on it.

i was thinking about doing the head gasket this weekend and see if that fixes it.
but until then any thoughts on this would be great.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Well if you havent replaced the headgasket in the car in the last 100,000 miles, I'd say thats it. Do a compression check on your cylinders and that will tell you if it is the head gasket. I don't think it would be your turbo. How much coolant do you have to put in it if you drive it around?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can go about 300 miles and then i need to add 1/2 a gallon.

i think ill do the head gasket just so i dont have to worry about it and i hope its fixes it.

oh, and anyone want to buy my car? i need a truck for work now and i dont think the bank will give me a big enough loan to pay for the truck so i think i might have to sell my baby.:cry:

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Well, if you sell her, I'd probably take some of your goodies from ya. 6pnt. brace. Do you still have your stock exhaust? I should have asked first, do you even want to return your car back to stock if you sell it?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know what ill do yet, i would like to sell it as is but i dont think anyone will take it.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Fix the gasket, change the oil and sell it for what it's worth. More than a car with a blown gasket and gunky oil!

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to fix it and drive it until i find something else i like, what do you guys think i could get for it? i just looked on ebay quick and a white 99 9-3 with 130xxx sold for $4500.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
You might be able to get that for it if you found someone who was into tuning and modding cars. For me it's hard to find a older person who is down with all that aftermarket stuff on a car they know little about. Whatever you do, dont trade it in. You'll probably get 2-2.5 grand on a trade in. I would personally just keep it if the head gasket is the problem. Parts for that are less than 50 bucks. I would maybe get a new valve cover gasket while your at it. Its hard to get the old one to fit back in once you pull it out.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a whole new top end gasket kit and head bolts for it but i just havnt done it yet, if it doesnt fix it i think i might do an oil change and trade her in if i can get over 3k for her.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
just take the rear seats out.... instant pickup truck :cheesy:

If you part out the car you would make much more money then selling it all at once. I would say put back all the stock parts you have lying around and sell as many performance parts you can.

ill trade my pick up truck for your saab though :p

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lowbudgethero said:
just take the rear seats out.... instant pickup truck :cheesy:

If you part out the car you would make much more money then selling it all at once. I would say put back all the stock parts you have lying around and sell as many performance parts you can.

ill trade my pick up truck for your saab though :p
just for giggles... what kind of truck?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
haha you dont want my truck: 1992 dodge daktoa 2.5L base model no radio no power steering but gets almost 30mpg on the highway :cool:

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im looking for a light truck with under 80k on the clock because im going to put about 30k on a year.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
well maybe it's your lucky day ive hardly driven it... it just passed 30K

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lowbudgethero said:
well maybe it's your lucky day ive hardly driven it... it just passed 30K
do you have any pictures and some more info about it?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well after 4 hours i have everything but the head out of the car, im going to leave it til morning to take out. i took a few pictures but there was alot of coolant in the oil. i hope to finish this tomorrow along with the a/c delete.

ill keep everyone posted as i take the head off and what i find.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You'll find white gunk :cry: Spatula and paper towels at the ready :eek:

We had my friend's 2.0 (16 valve ally head) Volvo absolutely FULL of gunge when he had his gasket go. He'd driven it around for several thousand miles whilst adding coolant all the time.

It looked like it would be a scrapper - the breather pipes and rocker cover were rammed with gunge. But we washed it out through the sump, put a new gasket and oil etc expecting the worst. It started with no noises or blue smoke and was fine. Changed the oil again shortly after to get rid of the remaining stuff and breathed a sigh of relief :)

Put plenty of paper down on the ground........

·
Registered
134 Posts
just a thought... if you're thinking about selling it, are you sure you want to remove the A/C? :confused: thats usually a good selling point.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i got it all back togeather and i think there is something wrong with the injector...

car starts but is really rough

pulled the plugs and all dry but #1 which was soaked and there was a puddle on the piston of gas.

so i switched out the plugs abd the same thing happen, so i unpluged injector #1 and the car started rough the smoothed out great and then went back to rough.

so i thin the injector is bad. i think that its just stuck open or opens and cant shut. the car starts on 3 then goes to 4 and then back to 3. i think its using the left over gas thats on the piston to smooth out but then once is gone its but to running on 3.

an ideas?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well she's up and running!

the post before this one where i had the gas putting out the spark happen due to a nicked wire short. the car runs great now.
i let it run in the driveway for about 45min and there was no sign of any thing leaking. also i went from 17psi vac to 21psi vac with the new head gasket. im going to post some pictures up of everything once its all uploaded.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts