SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ah-HA!! I've known that I've had a s-l-o-w hydraulic leak for some time, but I couldn't find it until removed everything tonight.

When I raised the roof, a small drop of fluid dripped out of the valve fitting where the line points. When I lowered the roof, several (five or six) larger drops dripped from the fitting.

Of course, I tightened the threaded connection, loosened and then tightened, etc. It continued to leak as before. I have concluded that the leak is coming from the plastic tubing/brass fitting interface. Could be anything causing the leak from cracked tubing, poor fit, etc.

Because removing the valve and fitting will be a huge mess with oil everywhere, etc., I would like to have a plan of action before I start on this in earnest.

Questions:
1. Is this repairable or should I get a replacement tubing section complete with fittings to install? (This piece is only about 6" long.)
2. If it is repairable, what works? Can I trim the tubing back a short distance and re-fit to the brass fitting? I don't think that a sealant or adhesive will work for long in the oily environment.
3. Could I take the tubing to a shop and get them to make a replacement from the existing fittings?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
4,637 Posts
These fittings look like compression fittings. There's a nut, a brass 'olive' which fits around the pipe and a steel(?) insert that goes into the pipe. The olive is distorted by tightening so you won't be able to use that again, everything else should be reusable. You might get away with wrapping the olive with white PTFE (plumbers') tape and tightening the joint. Otherwise a plumbers' shop (or maybe a hydraulic shop) should be able to supply you with an olive (suitable for plastic pipe). In that case, cut off the old olive (and the pipe it was compressing), fit olive, retrieve the insert from the trash can 'cos you forgot to take it out when you cut off the old olive, fit that and tighten up the joint...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew that you would have the answer!! I'm going to see if I can swipe one out of a parts car just to save me the trouble.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, as luck would have it, I've fixed the tubing fitting and now there's a leak coming from one of the valve fittings that I didn't notice or wasn't apparent before! :evil: :evil:

Now, who's gonna bet that two brass fittings that have been threaded together for 17+ years will come apart without serious damage? Not me! JB Weld, here I come (unless I can find something better).

A new valve costs $225 from Saab! I guess that I could get a similar valve elsewhere....

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'd hate to see what is under my back seat. The convertible top doesn't go up or down under it's own power at all anymore. I bet fluid has leaked out all over the place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts