SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today in my garage a small spot of a clear oily liquid between the front passenger and rear passenger door. So I looked underneath the truck and it looks that I have leak but cannot see where. I can see the differentals and they look fine and the transfer case as well, I don't see any leaks...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Clear oily liquid... first thing that comes to mind is brake fluid, but don't think there is a line in that area. I believe they run on the drivers side, but not sure. Just got my 97x so would have to look. I would check all your fluid levels under the hood though to make sure they are up to par.

Does the fluid have any smell at all?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No smell, not a/c condensation -

i checked brake, power steering, transmission, oil level, last night all are good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So I looked underneath the truck and it looks that I have leak but cannot see where.
When you say this, it leads me to believe you can actually see ther fluid up on the underside of the chassis also? If so, is it sprayed over a larger area or just dripping from one spot?

One crazy thought is that perhaps you just ran over something like a spray bottle that nailed your underside? The reason i said this is I ran over a can in my garage last night, scared the crap out of me! Thought I ran over one of my tools or something!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I looked again, I called the "local" saab dealer and have an appointment on Wednesday. My truck is still under CPO until August, which they said is still honoured.

After looking tonight no new drips, my Wife drove it a few miles in town to run errands, and nothing seemed out of line. The underneath is damp, and the fuel tank looks like it has some of this stuff on it, but I reached under and it had no smell. Not sure what it is, almost like baby oil...

Brake, Power, steering, oil all in spec.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well I looked again, I called the "local" saab dealer and have an appointment on Wednesday. My truck is still under CPO until August, which they said is still honoured.

After looking tonight no new drips, my Wife drove it a few miles in town to run errands, and nothing seemed out of line. The underneath is damp, and the fuel tank looks like it has some of this stuff on it, but I reached under and it had no smell. Not sure what it is, almost like baby oil...

Brake, Power, steering, oil all in spec.
Dex cool? There is an overflow pipe underneath the car just behind the front passenger tire about a foot in.

Is it dripping?

Dex cool has an oil feel and doesn't really smell like anything.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no dripping - just a few spots in the garage. Looked agian last night and the shocks seem fine and my Wife siad that the truck feels like it has low tire pressure, so I am thinking diff. I called Saab in GR since its closer than Ann Arbour, and they thought diff seals- they go bad, quick fix.

No new spots - my DexCool is orange - maybe clean once it hits ground? IDK, no smell

The rear diff and behind the truck has this on it - so I am sure its being spread as we are driving.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was tranny fluid coming from the vent -

I guess this can happen if the tranny got too hot or if parked on hill They checked all fluids, including tranny and all were spot on.

The tranny was replaced about 3 years ago - they were not sure if it would need another. However, to bring it in a few times before the warranty expires in August.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts