SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, hoping someone can help me out.

I just replaced the radiator yesterday on my 01 Saab 9-5 SE V6. Prior to this the A/C was working fine.

Today I went to the store and turned on the A/C, but no cool air came out. I opened the hood and saw a leak behind the engine - the photo is below. There's a silver A/C line running to that gold-color box, which is where the leak seems to be coming from. Anybody know what it could be?

The only odd thing I recall was yesterday while doing a flush, that A/C line that runs along the left side of the car was vibrating and making noise as it kept hitting the frame of the car... had never done that before.

Here's an image of the leak: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3913/photo24.JPG

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The gold box that your two ac lines are going into is your Expansion Valve.
Just above that gold box is your coolant bypass valve. your Silver AC hardline, should be secured along the way to the receiver dryer with some type of built in clamp on the body. You probably popped the line loose while changing your radiator. I guess it would be possible that the vibrating silver a/c hard line could have caused a freon leak at the expansion valve, but I've never heard of that happening.
I would have to question whether your coolant bypass valve is faulty, they are known to go at around 100K miles and spray coolant in the area you have photographed. Would be nice if you knew what the fluid that sprayed out was...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right it seems to be the coolant bypass valve - I turned it on and it's leaking above the gold box.

The silver AC hardline isn't secured, I guess I must have broken plastic that held it in place, and that must have caused it to leak somewhere?

Darn, there goes my plan to drive it across the state next week.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The reason your ac is not blowing cold could be caused by something else and not a leak. Perhaps it's related to the faulty bypass valve. Once you install your new CBV, I would just give it another try. I would also try resetting your AC / heating panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts