SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone launch their 93 for optimal acceleration?

I've got an 07 Aero, and I feel like I haven't quite found the sweet spot for 1st gear yet...

- pre rev rpms ?
- ease clutch or just drop it ?
- when is 1st gear "finished" ?

Not to be mean, but responses for manual only, please =P

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i usually launch around 3500 rpm. from there, it's a balance between throttle and clutch to keep the tires chirping, but barely slipping, for as long as possible. i can't get myself to drop my clutch, but even if i could, it's not going to get me anywhere. dropping the clutch causes instant wheelspin...something you're trying to avoid. i usually shift into second around 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cojoroh said:
i usually launch around 3500 rpm. from there, it's a balance between throttle and clutch to keep the tires chirping, but barely slipping, for as long as possible. i can't get myself to drop my clutch, but even if i could, it's not going to get me anywhere. dropping the clutch causes instant wheelspin...something you're trying to avoid. i usually shift into second around 5500 rpm.
I do just about the same. Except i launch around 2500 and drop the clutch then feather the accelerator if too much wheel spin. Of course, i'm stock tune still, no BSR, i'm assuming those guys might have a little harder time launching. Overall, this is probably one of the hardest cars that i've launched, mainly because of that killer boost curve......

I also shift around 5500-5800 rpms, any more than that is not productive for the shift.....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
approx. shift rpm's
1st - 5500
2nd - 5600
3rd-5800

usually finish the quarter at the end of 3rd. The shift from 1st to 2nd is pretty quick (just a bit after your 60ft) and you'll be riding 3rd for the majority of the ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got an auto, when ever I brake torque as high as the torque converter allows me (2200rpm?), I get a lot of wheelspin on the street. I get a pretty nice launch @ 2k with minimal wheelspin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tips, guys

on the way to/from work today i tried to keep the clutch partially engaged until full boost pressure... seemed to work pretty well. i'll have to do some further testing :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah... i guess i'm interested more in technique rather than specific numbers as that would be different for 2.8t

hopefully some aero's chime in :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
mikesbox said:
yeah... i guess i'm interested more in technique rather than specific numbers as that would be different for 2.8t

hopefully some aero's chime in :cheesy:
Ditto here.

The driving characteristics, along with gearing and such, it quite different between the 4 and 6 banger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well i am interested to hear any views off 2.8T drivers to.
I tend to drop the clutch and disappear up the road in a cloud of wgite smoke with a distinct smell of rubber following me.
I want to get the most out of my aero 2.8, at least you guys in the USA get cheaper cars and aero acadamy in the UK we get screwed over on pricelike my aero 2.8T with every hirsch extra will top $80.000 well its a £40,000 car ok the basic car was £29500 but sat nav met paint heated seats added £2500 and the hirsch bits were about £8000 including fitting

·
Registered
471 Posts
1st gear on the 2.8T is great for around town, but useless for the best 1/4-mile or 0-60 times IMO. This engine can easily overpower the front wheels in 1st gear as well as 2nd gear(especially with a BSR tune). This can be advantageous, especially if you launch in 2nd gear,as a little wheel spin gets the RPMs up into the range where the boost comes on hard & fast and keeps the engine from bogging down. FYI-Some wheel spin is acceptable for the best 0-60 times with a front wheel drive car. For the best results, you should disable the traction control first before you launch. Depending on how brave/abusive you want to be, try increasing the engine rpms between 3.5K - 5.5K before dropping (or feathering) the clutch (in 2nd gear) and modulate wheel spin with the throttle until you are above 30 mph. Once the tires hook up, floor it and hold on for dear life:cheesy:! If running the 1/4 mile shift from 2nd to 3rd at the redline and hold 3rd to the redline. This is totally hypothetical and I would never subject my beloved Saab to such abuse:nono;. Why would you skip 1st gear? Because if you are already traction limited in both first and second, then starting in second will save you the ~0.3 -0.6 seconds it takes you to shift as well as the ~0.3 seconds it takes for full boost to come back on between shifts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did my first full bull start the other day, to be honest they are a bit lame in first, especially pre PPC, the TCS seems to sort it out, my old LPT was much harder to get off the line cleanly, usually resulted in either bogging down or loads of wheelspin.

Basically move off in first then enjoy the rest of the gears and dont challenge any Impreza's from a standstill.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I did my first full bull start the other day, to be honest they are a bit lame in first, especially pre PPC, the TCS seems to sort it out, my old LPT was much harder to get off the line cleanly, usually resulted in either bogging down or loads of wheelspin.
edit: the launch technique should be the same for either engine. granted, the rpm at launch, throttle position, etc. may be different depending on how much power you have to work with, but the goal is to keep the drive tires on the "edge" of adhesion until you are able floor the throttle with no wheel slip.

uhhhh...i just assumed that TCS is turned OFF prior to launching. there's no point in launching this car with TCS on, especially with how intrusive it is.

on a side note, does anyone have problems with their TCS kicking in when switching directions quickly? it seems that it makes no difference if there is actually wheelspin or not (or slip angle)...just the abrupt change in direction causes the TCS to momentarily kick in.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Where do you think we are?
Cape Canaveral or a 1/4 mile blowout.
SAAC SSs are excellent Sports Sedans that more than hold their own from 50 mph onwards.
But since when have we been into this clutch and rubber burning rubbish.
Maybe it's just the few of us oldies that enjoy our cars without trying to destroy them....:roll:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i've probably launched my car hard about 10 times throughout the 47000 miles that are showing on the odometer...with most of those launches being at autocross events (none of them were side-stepped or dropped clutches). a proper launch technique can make or break your time, so i wouldn't consider this to be "rubbish" or an attempt to "destroy" my car. :nono; i doubt there are many people on this board that are as particular about the mechanics of their car as i am.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am still under 2000km on my car, and slowly beginning to open it up a little. I haven't found a need to plast out of the intersection for a number of reasons:

1) It is still new, got to baby it for a little bit longer
2) No need....I can still pull ahead of 95% of drivers on the road.

One thing I noticed, the V6 is more thirsty then my old car. No surprise there. I am hoping that tuning it will make it more efficient. I know the BSR kit made my car more fuel efficient. Mind you, not when you actually took advantage of the extra boost.

I will let you know how it feels once I get her tuned in the spring time, but after I move and get through most of my ACL surgery physio sessions.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts