SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks,

just driving home from work this evening and the engine light flashes on and has stayed on since!! :x

i turned the car off when i parked, left it a few mins and turned it back on. the 'checking' came up on the screen and then it went to 'Ok'...but the engine light has stayed on.

i went thru the settings menu, got to the service interval section and it suggests that it has 31% before the intermediate service is required. the car drives fine otherwise.

Any ideas what the issue might be or are there just too many possibilities!! :cry:

One other thing, why would the checking came up ok if the engine light is on, surely the engine light indicates that everything cannot possibly be 'ok'?

thanks for your advice people

cheers
bf

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The check on there ensures your lights are working properly, your oil level is ok, you have washer fluid, and things like that. It does not look at the CEL.

If it is flashing you shouldn't be driving the car. If it is solid, go to Autozone and have the code read. Report back here with that code.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The check on there ensures your lights are working properly, your oil level is ok, you have washer fluid, and things like that. It does not look at the CEL.

If it is flashing you shouldn't be driving the car. If it is solid, go to Autozone and have the code read. Report back here with that code.
ok, i understand that and yes, the light is solid.

Autozone, not sure ive seen them over here in the UK!!

ill have a look and see if they do operate here

thanks for the advice though

regards
bf

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is your car the V6 or 2.0? If so it could be any host of things! If it hasn't driven as if something is wrong it is most likely something simple. Have your tech pull the code and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your car the V6 or 2.0? If so it could be any host of things! If it hasn't driven as if something is wrong it is most likely something simple. Have your tech pull the code and see what they recommend.
hi,

its the 2.0 engine and it drivers perfectly. no loss of power, no reduction in fuel economy and no strange noises, its perfect.

ive read a few other posts and forums where people have suggested the fuel cap may cause this problem, so ill give that a check tomorrow. if the light stays on ill get the codes read as you advise.

thanks mate

bf

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
yeah a check engine light could be a myriad of things... anything from a loose gas (petrol) cap to something much more serious.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Flashing means a misfire. You'd probably notice the car bucking, stalling, rough idle, etc. Stop the car as soon as it's safe to do so.

Solid typically means something is wrong with the emissions systems (usually a loose gas cap or a bad O2 sensor).

You don't have auto parts stores in the UK that will read the code for free?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
ok, i understand that and yes, the light is solid.

Autozone, not sure ive seen them over here in the UK!!

ill have a look and see if they do operate here

thanks for the advice though

regards
bf

Oops! Didn't look at your location. Any workshop should be able to pull the codes as well. Although probably not free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts