SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so thanks to all who helped me make up my mind about wife's tires.

Now let's get to mine. (Yes we have 2 Saab 9-3's).

I replaced my stock Pirellis, which lasted over 50K (about 70% freeway), with Goodyear Eagle GTs. I have mixed feelings about these - they are not bad, but I think the handling, especially in turns / cornering, is not as good. (And I don't drive too aggressively).

Anyway, I wasn't rotating them often enough, and now after about 25K the front tires are almost worn - they will live to see the winter, but it's probably a good idea to replace them then. The rears are still at least at 50% if not more.

So, it's tempting to save some of the cost, and just buy 2 new tires. I am not very fond of Eagles but as I said, they aren't bad either, I can live with them. The question is, should I rotate the fronts back, and get a bit more life out of them (and subject the less worn pair to accelerated wear up front), or is it better to just run them to the ground & replace with new pair ?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The best tires should always go on the rear, even on FWD. That is desirable becuase it prevents the rear end from coming around in rain, snow or hard driving and evasive moves.

Which pretty much means you have to rotate tires to keep the wear even as the fronts generally wear more quickly.

And IMO you should not mix tires at and certainly not on the same axle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best tires should always go on the rear, even on FWD. That is desirable becuase it prevents the rear end from coming around in rain, snow or hard driving and evasive moves.

Which pretty much means you have to rotate tires to keep the wear even as the fronts generally wear more quickly.

And IMO you should not mix tires at and certainly not on the same axle.
Not on the same axle, agreed. But OTOH there will still be about 50% life left in my current rears when it's time to replace my current fronts... hate to just get rid of perfectly good tires.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Based on your location, I'm guessing you get a fair amout of rain. Therefore I would leave them the way they are since you don't really like them. In the fall get 4 new tires. Sell the two rear tires on craigslist. Check tirerack.com and tirebuyer.com for tire reviews. I think you can get better tires than both the Eagles and Pirelli's for less.

If you don't use winter tires, I'm guessing you will want a good A/S tire. The Goodyear Comfort tread are really amazing on ice n snow and last for ever. They are no summer performance tire though.

The Continental Extreme AWS http://www.conti-online.com/generat...nce/extreme_dws_en/extremecontact_dws_en.html
may be the tire you are looking for?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts