SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 linear, and am going to purchase an e# socket set. What is the largest size that I need to go up too? I know the rear brakes need an E18, do i need to go higher for any other part of the car?

thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
nmuwildcat65 said:
Whats an e# socket?
Etorx, the opposite of Torx bits. Torx has the female part in the bolt and the male part is the tool. Etorx has a male part on the bolt and female tool (socket).
Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevedol said:
Etorx, the opposite of Torx bits. Torx has the female part in the bolt and the male part is the tool. Etorx has a male part on the bolt and female tool (socket).
Steve.
exactly right, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
E24 for front brakes? According the faq and brake change instructions althought I am not sure of the years included.....so that is sort of a half answer bordering on no answer...

Saw differing answers about whether etorx or allen for same model year car. I have yet to crawl under mine to verify although I am within a couple months of requiring a brake job.

But a bump all the same.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
robhurlburt said:
up top, anybody know?
I'll know for sure tomorrow night. I tore into my brake/rotor change last night only to find out I needed the E18 socket (Didn't read the FAQ thoroughly enough). Had to wait until tonight to finish the rears. Then I started in on the front only to find out I need a larger E socket.

Son-of-a-b*$^*@)(*#!!!!!!!!!!!

Man was I wound up. Had to put the front back together as all the stores were closed here in podunk. Tomorrow on the way home from work I'm gonna stop and get an E socket set.

If someone doesn't post before tomorrow night I will with the correct size for the front (looks like an E20 though).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Struck out. No one has anything bigger than E18 that I could find. Anyone have a line on where to by a set of these? I've looked a round some (googled it) but it seems to be a pretty wide selection and price range.

I'm guessing E24 is the biggest needed.

EDIT: I bought a set off ebay. It had E10-E24.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,410 Posts
vf171 said:
EDIT: I bought a set off ebay. It had E10-E24.
Just out of curiosity, what did this run you? I'm guessing you bought Chinese sockets for $6 plus $8.95 shipping. Nice to know this is available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Can't you just use a big channel lock on the E-type bolts?? :cheesy: Just Kidding. :cheesy:

Most autoparts stores carry E-socket sets b/c these are so common on GM cars nowdays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Nickshu said:
Can't you just use a big channel lock on the E-type bolts?? :cheesy: Just Kidding. :cheesy:

Most autoparts stores carry E-socket sets b/c these are so common on GM cars nowdays.
All the stores I went to have E-sockets. None went above E18 though. I have plenty of T sockets because of a 97 Jeep TJ I owned so I didn't need the full set. I paid a bit more than the other guy did for his set but it appears to be high quality.

I agree with the other guy about quality sets and your obvious sarcasm :D For about 3 seconds I was thinking about grabbing the vise-grip pliers. I was anxious to get the job done but decided a mangled bolt head wasn't worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
vf171 said:
All the stores I went to have E-sockets. None went above E18 though. I have plenty of T sockets because of a 97 Jeep TJ I owned so I didn't need the full set. I paid a bit more than the other guy did for his set but it appears to be high quality.

I agree with the other guy about quality sets and your obvious sarcasm :D For about 3 seconds I was thinking about grabbing the vise-grip pliers. I was anxious to get the job done but decided a mangled bolt head wasn't worth it.
I ended up ordering an E20 socket online from Sears. It was like, 8 bucks and it wasn't even Craftsman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
ctrlz said:
Just out of curiosity, what did this run you? I'm guessing you bought Chinese sockets for $6 plus $8.95 shipping. Nice to know this is available.
Sorry, I misssed this question the other night. It was $42 which included shipping. Steep sure, but if I had bought them one at a time I would have been well over that amount so I'm okay with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Finally got the socket set. Man did that take forever!

I'm going to change the fronts this weekend. I'll post back then with the socket size for the front then.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top