SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I thought I was being clever when I changed my oil this time and figured out that I could use a larger oil filter (WIX 51516) on my car instead of the small (WIX 51348). I bought a Motorcraft FL400s because it crossed to the larger Wix, has a anti-drain valve, same pressure setting (8-11psi) and same thread count 25-220. I looked on here tonight and see that many people including Earthworm are already using the larger filter with fine results.

While it was a grand idea, alas... I am not the originator I thought I was.

Oh well, I at least thought it was worth bringing up again for all of the newer folks that may not have considered it.

For the record, I am now running the larger filter with Rotella Synthetic Diesel 5W-40 on both Saabs.

Not to get into a debate as to Oil Filter Brands, but the filter crosses to a Motorcraft FL400S, Fram PH3600, SuperTech ST3600 & Purolator 20195 (Added per Jeremy's Reply below ;) )

WIX 51348

WIX 51516

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
The Purolator 20195 is their larger size that will our cars. The O2 sensor on the NG900 makes it a little difficult to get on and off, but not impossible.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Excellent choices on both the oil and the filters, Frank, particularly the oil.

Abot three years ago, another man mentioned using the Fl-400 filter, so I copied and cross referenced to the Purolator 20195. Having many choices in filters, tires, batteries is good.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There are bigger filters that you can use.

I only know wix numbers but they can be cross referenced.

Wix 1515, its huge (and it iwll fit 100 %)

And the huge filter meant for a big truck

Wix 1773. It should fit as long as you have the GS downpipe as I think the original DP with hanger wont allow the room.

The 1773 fits almost 2 qts of oil in it.

My main goal out of this is to add more oil. The 1515 should add about 1/4 to 1/2 a qt, maybe even a qt.

If I can fit the 1773 , thats almost 6 qts in the engine! should help things keep cooler and help against sludge.

I will post pics of the different sizes later.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:
Excellent choices on both the oil and the filters, Frank, particularly the oil.

About three years ago, another man mentioned using the Fl-400 filter, so I copied and cross referenced to the Purolator 20195. Having many choices in filters, tires, batteries is good.
So, I'm only about 3 years behind the curve. lol. Oh well. Like you said, it's good to know that we have choices out there. I have always ran larger oil filters in my trucks and like the idea of more filter media surface area, larger oil capacity (about 1/3qt in this case) plus, I can get my hand around it to remove it w/o using one of those filter wrenches.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
http://picasaweb.google.com/scottymartin/2007_10_30/photo#5127124323706263378

Here you can see the 1773 on the left, 1515 in the middle and 1348 (standard)

Obvious size difference. I am not 100% sure that the 1773 will fit, its the length i am worried about.. I will find out this Feb when I change my oil next.

All these numbers are Napa (put a 5 in front for Wix) and can be cross referenced.

Forgot to add , that your using a great oil. I use to run Esso XD3 diesel in my saab, ran great. Just trying out something else right now.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Turns out the 1773 might not be a good idea, as it has a mircon reading of 30 instead of 19 (which the stock one has). So it will not filter as well. Might just stick with the 1515.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ParaMedic_Saab said:
Turns out the 1773 might not be a good idea, as it has a mircon reading of 30 instead of 19 (which the stock one has). So it will not filter as well. Might just stick with the 1515.
Yeah, good call there. I definately don't think it would be worth it. The gains in cooling and surface area would be worthles if the filter is letting more crap through.

I think I am definately happy with the FL400s and will continue to use it. The best filter Iv'e ever seen was the massive 3 piece filter in my Jetta TDI. It was very messy to change though as all you changed was the actual filter element itself.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
From the Saabblackman :: By the Way whats the Best Oil Filter on the Market today?

This is a BITOG subject, I am positive this has been discussed more than once.
My answer :: Probably the "best" oil filter is one made in Germany or Japan......We seem only interested in manufacturing cheap items - many are good , some not so good...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
earthworm said:
From the Saabblackman :: By the Way whats the Best Oil Filter on the Market today?

This is a BITOG subject, I am positive this has been discussed more than once.
My answer :: Probably the "best" oil filter is one made in Germany or Japan......We seem only interested in manufacturing cheap items - many are good , some not so good...

Gotcha..so what oil filter do you use in your car earthworm?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SaabBlackMan said:
Gotcha..so what oil filter do you use in your car earthworm?

He is using a Purolator 20195 filter equivelent to the Motorcraft FL400s.

What's the rationale for using diesel oil? Detergents?
The synthetic diesel oil that I run contains some great additives and detergents that are designed to help clean soot out of diesel engines. I started using it in my old Jetta TDI and tried it on my other cars. I noticed that after 2 oil changes the oil actually came out cleaner on subsequent oil changes. Since these engines have had some sludge tendencies, I opted to use an oil that would help keep it as clean as possible. The price is right too at $16 gal.

So... for $16 oil + $3.50 filter + $.50 crush washer I get a full synthetic oil change for $20.00 I can have it done in less than 10mins too.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
What's the rationale for using diesel oil? Detergents?
I was using Esso XD3 diesel oil for 2 years in my saab with Great oil analysis. I liked it because of the extra detergents to help against sludge. Also XD3 is a heavy duty oil meant to hold up against turbos and hard working engines.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Diesel oils are generally loaded with more of the additives zddp (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and calcium than their passenger car oil siblings. These two additives combine to give the oil much better detergent, dispersant, and anti-oxidant abilities. This will generally allow the oil to last longer and do a better job of preventing sludge and varnish buildup. While this extra ability is just comforting in the pre-2000 cars, it's practically necessary in the 2000-02 T7 models.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts