SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some All Season tires...

Anyone running the Kumho Ecsta 4X? I saw a lot of complaints about Kumho's tread wear/life in the past, but this is a new tire. Any feedback on any aspects of this tire ie. handling, ride, noise, treadwear, roundness, ability to stay balanced, Winter grip, etc?

The Ecsta 4X gets some very good ratings out at Tirerack... overall rating is slightly higher than the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, although it's really a toss up. Michelin's Winter ratings seem to have dropped a little lately. They are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins. But, the Kumho is newer and only has about 600K miles reported versus 8M for the Michelin, and I know tire ratings usually drop as people run them longer. I used to be a strong Michelin buyer, but my last set of Pilot Exalto's hasn't impressed me all that much. Then again, I hate to buy the Kumho's and then be kicking myself when they die at 20K miles :-(

Feedback?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+4X

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Why not go with Continental DWS all seasons? best all season IMHO, great wet/dry/ and snow traction I have come across.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not go with Continental DWS all seasons? best all season IMHO, great wet/dry/ and snow traction I have come across.
Thanks, but I had the Conti's before when they first came out (slightly different name... I think they've added the "DWS" part now) and I had two issues: One was that they were a bit soft in the sidewall... although I could work with that. The other is that they went out of round and could not be balanced (and you know how these cars are about balancing). When I checked the reviews at Tirerack, some people mentioned those issues with the DWS... so I am a little wary of getting a set again. It wasn't fun, and I blew off a bit of money trying to get them balanced (never did...ended up replacing them).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts