SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well almost one month ago (2 days short) I ordered the Koni yellow shocks knowing they were back ordered. Koni-NA was supposed to receive a shipment end of March.

The place I bought my parts from informed me that Koni advised them there will be another 3-4 week delay from last week :eek:

Luckily for me, they had the rears, and Tirerack had the fronts so I was informed that I could pay an additional $60 and get them this week. After hearing they were back ordered even more, I just coughed up the additional $60 and they showed up today. :cheesy:

I will be booking an appointment this week and will probably have them installed next week, I'm super excited :cool:

I've attached a few pics of the shocks themselves - anyone know why in the first picture one of my fronts has that little metal bar and the other doesn't? Even the Koni logo looks different on one of them, even though the part numbers are good :confused:

I will be updating this thread with before pics, after, and of course an overall review once all is done and settled.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
get the rears set where you want before you put them in. i hope u plan on droppin at the same time.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really wanted to do it myself, but I don't have the space nor the tools to complete such a job, let alone the experience :p

I'm doing it at this shop who specializes with Audi/Volks/BMW/Porsche - my friend referred me to them:

http://www.rombotistuning.com/

At $240 bucks, it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
879 Posts
What type of springs did you get? and it'll be lowered but are the springs significantly STIFFER than the Aero's stock ones? My aero suspensions feels soooo soft after being in my buddy's '07 Mazdaspeed 3 I have to figure something out to change haha

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It's nice that someone got theirs. I placed an order as well and with it being almost a month and a half I just canceled my order and used the money for other stuff.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I saw what some members paid for their installation and I think it's a rather good deal, not the best by any means, but I was willing to pay up to $300 for installation and I didn't see many people paying on the lower side of the $200 either. I'm not sure if this includes installation.

One shop quoted me 6 hrs at around $80 per hour + tax.

These are H&R springs, and as for the stiffness, I really have no idea how stiff they are. I got them off a member here brand new for $150 - now thats a deal :cheesy:

My current stock suspension with 19s is pretty damn stiff.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
How would you know where you want it without putting them on and trying them out? :lol:
Well it would be a shame if he had the rears put in without having them set somewhere and they were off

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the rears comes from Koni with the softest setting. I will probably be keeping it that way, at least for now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I really wanted to do it myself, but I don't have the space nor the tools to complete such a job, let alone the experience :p

I'm doing it at this shop who specializes with Audi/Volks/BMW/Porsche - my friend referred me to them:

http://www.rombotistuning.com/

At $240 bucks, it was a no brainer.
Wow, these guys work on some pretty nice stuff...
Plus, at $240 it is a really nice price.

Post pics please.. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sweet, can't wait for you to get these on so I can try them out :D

I wonder if you'll need to re-adjust your Xenons with the drop. I remember reading that people had issues with this.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet, can't wait for you to get these on so I can try them out :D

I wonder if you'll need to re-adjust your Xenons with the drop. I remember reading that people had issues with this.
No problem man :D Appointment booked for April the 20th - that's the earliest the shop can take me in.

I think I read a thread somewhere around here mentioning that concerning the Xenons. Oh well, step by step and we will see where the road takes me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
With Koni Yellows, can you use the stock aero springs too? I would get FSDs but I may lower my car later in the summer and FSDs supposedly can't be matched with lowering springs according to GS and people here.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure, but if I was to guess I would say yes. Your best best would be to ask Nick at Genuinesaab for the best answers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I purchased KONI's + Eibach's for my V6, still waiting for them, both shocks and springs are back ordered.

H&R springs are less progressive than Eibach and they are stiffer. I've had Bilstein/H&R and Bilstein/Eibach on my M3 and the H&R's are definitely noticeably stiffer.

As for the Xenon issue, it's mostly because of how raked the car is. The car is no longer level after lowering. I bought Eibach's intead of H&R's for this reason. Eibach springs level the car out by lowing the same front and rear. The added weight up front should drop it a bit more in the front, but hopefully not too much. I want the car to be level. A raked AERO is no good, especially with that front lip.

Tire rack has great reviews using an IS-300 and BMW E46. They test many combinations and you can read the results. They test Eibach springs with stock dampers and KONI dampers. They also test KONI dampers with Eibach springs in 3 different settings, from softest to medium to full stiff. I'm going to set both my fronts and rears to full stiff, then back off 1/4 turn. I like my dampers slightly overdamped for highspeed.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts