SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big big No no!! :nono;

I installed these and suffered massive vibration issues. Initially I thought these were unrelated, but after replacing 2 engine mounts, tranny mount, 2 buckled wheels and having teh wheels balanced and aligned the vibration was still there.

The problem was that the drive shafts now point upwards into teh tranny box, causing unnecessary strain on the diff.

I removed the Koni's and replaced with my standard springs.... The drive shafts are back level and the problem has now gone!

4 weeks of hassle down to a lousy set of £90 springs. :evil:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I did warn you about the harshness - but then you have to try these things. I thought the aftermarket tranny mount lifted the engine slightly to keep the driveshaft line within reasonable limits? How much did the koni's slam the car?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Konies took it a good 35-40mm lower.

I was happy with teh ride, just not the trampoline effect it had between 40 and 50 mph!!! :eek:

I didnt realise there was an uprated tranny mount, my standard one was broken so I replaced with a standard one ;oops:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
GS poly mount - more vibration at idle but I doubt that will bother you:cheesy: Are you still on stock shocks?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shirozina said:
GS poly mount - more vibration at idle but I doubt that will bother you:cheesy: Are you still on stock shocks?
Hmm I may have to check that out! :p

Nah, i dont idle much! :cheesy:

Yep on stocks ;oops:, will be getting Koni's after Xmas... with hopefully flywheel and clutch (which is stating to smell :eek:)

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Koni does not make springs.;)

Were there any noises that accompanied this, like whiring noises?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Likely that your shocks are worn and were not able to damp the stiff springs. I'd not be too happy putting 270bhp down with stock springs and worn shocks;oops: - does the front rise up on acceleration?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Someone mentioned in the c900 forum that the angle of the drive shaft was quite important as done properly it should pull the front down on heavy acceleration, can't remember whether they should be angled down or up towards the wheels though:confused:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I guess a spinning shaft with a flexible joint will try to straighten itself out under load?- thus if the shafts point down they will apply a counter force to the turning force which is trying to lift the front?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Speaking from recent personal experience of a -60mm drop with leaky shocks and then a -35mm drop with Konis:- I havn't had any vibration problem.

I HAVE had vibration problems with shoddy wheel balancing.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That's because more aggressive shocks, springs and polybushings etc transmit and amplify any small imbalance.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hell, the poly trans mount made it more shaky, but I feel like it's worth it. Performance is a give and take relationship.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lms said:
Koni does not make springs.;)

Were there any noises that accompanied this, like whiring noises?
Well why have i get a set that cam in a box marked koni?! :confused:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Because koni gets their springs from a co. called vogtland.

Koni does make their own shocks though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
And I love there hotdogs:cheesy: I'm sorry for that I couldn't help myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts