SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just ordered the koni sport springs but i live in ohio. does anyone have these springs that live in a snowy place like ohio? if so do you have any problems?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hello there. I have the Koni's and live in Northern IN where we get the fun lake effect snow.

As long as the snow isn't so high you can't get through it you'll be fine. I would reccomend that you do the springs AND the shock though. I did not and am paying for it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've been running without them for 2 years. The issues is that they bottom out very easily and probably aren't as stiff as they should be.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i had the koni springs ditched them as even with only me in the car the rear bottomed out all the time.

and it once bottomed out at the back so badly i actually caught the arch with the 17's on

so i ended up buying the abbott springs which did raise the rear a slightly 10mm at most i think but has solved the problem no end

this was the koni springs fitted with the adjustable koni shocks set to about 2 turns front and rear and the whole car polybushed to elminate worn bushes from the issue

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Ive never bottomed out my rear, just the front. He had adjustable ones that may have been set too low.

I like the KONIs, they're stiff but thats the point. Everything is a trade off. If you want better handling expect a less comfortable ride.

having the shocks too will help tremendously though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
the only adjustable bit was the koni shocks for damping

just the springs are forgive the pun shocking. the powder coat is all flaking off they went coil bound once fitted and no one in the car at the rear

where as the abbott racing ones are not coil bound and are still looking as good as they day they where fitted

i'm not telling you not to fit them or to fit them. just to research things a bit more before you make your decision

but if your keeping the current shocks look to the hirsch springs from saab

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
There are a few posts with pics of those spings mounted in the rear where the bottom 2 coils are compressed-not good.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So the Koni lowering spring and damper kit is no good?

I was looking for a slightly lower ride but nothing much firmer than stock. Whats good?

Cheers M.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
The koni shocks are great, but the springs are not the greatest which are made by a co. called vogtland. I think at one time maybe the koni kit came with another spring, but not sure??? And I'm not sure if the pics I saw with the springs compressed were due to weight in the rear, etc???

·
Registered
293 Posts
yup compressed with only the weight in the car which in my boot is a full size spare, saab tools and my sub box which is very light anyway and second battery. but that should not affect the springs at all.

the springs should be able to handle that. even with everything out and leaving only the std saab stuff it was still sitting coil bound

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Even if they are though I've noticed no ill effects in the rear anyways. The front is where I bottom out, I can't recally one instance where it happened in the rear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
might just be they have quality control issues

some fronts are too soft and some rears are too soft

either way mine are not going back on any time soon

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
thats a possibility. My car's garge kept until I get the bumper on so I haven't had time to check. I'll post what my rears are doing when I get off work.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is the time frame from when the springs were installed to where you start to noticed the compressed springs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would look at Eibachs. Awesome quality and they lower the car the least of all sport springs - no problem driving year round. I've had them for a few years on my Viggen and they look like new.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts