SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Koni revelation

Over the last couple of months I've been experimenting with the settings and have finaly nailed the best setup on my car - full soft all round. In terms of precise handling, predictable steering, speed of turn-in response, comfort over bumps and stability at straightline speeds this setting is easily the best. I started at 1/2 way between hard and soft and gradualy eased them off with improvements everytime but it wasn't until I ran with full soft at the rear (and just 3 'notches' from soft at the front) that it realy started to feel I was getting somewhere with the handling. I was reluctant to go full soft at the front because I was sure I would loose some steering response and create a bit of oversteer but 1/2 way through a long journey on some twisty A roads through the Welsh boarder region I was not at all happy with the way it went round corners - it just didn't feel 'right'. I pulled over and wound the fronts out to full soft and it was :cheesy: all the way home. Today over London roads it felt much more comfortable and didn't crash over speed humps and potholes as before. This goes against all advice I have read and the common consensus that stiffer is better (but less comfortable). Koni do say that full soft is the optimum setting and adjustment is only to compensate for wear - and now I believe them. UPDATE!! - no wonder this setting works best, after reading more on the Koni website, the adjustment on these shocks is ONLY for rebound and not for compression :roll:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad to here you're riding comfortably now. Which konis did you go with? What springs do you have? I have B&G springs and Bilstein HDs and I can't take it anymore!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do they make a shock that is adjustable for compression? I was under the assumption that was what the adjustment was for, as were you apparently.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They do make shocks with compression adjustment but not for our cars. If you send them back to the factory they will rebuild them with higher comression damping.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So if you can have them rebuilt with a higher compression damping, does that mean you could order them new that way. I.E. I call Nick or who ever and say hey dude my buddy on SAABCENTRAL got some koni shocks and he didn't feel they were firm enough for him can you order me ones that are 20% stiffer?
Not that I am anywhere close to being abile to order shocks or know that I want them stiffer than what other say about koni sports I am just curious.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Koni will do it for you at the factory but it's likely to cost extra. I think they are stiffer than stock to start with so you would realy need to know what you are doing to go any harder. To be honest I think the choice of springs and various other mods like braces and polybushings have more importance to the handling.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't think I would want to do that anyway, but a little knowledge never hurt anybody. I was just curious. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, koni can & will revalve any of their shocks however you want. With the C900's Koni would start with non saab specific shock (usually use the 30-1088 & 26-1097) due to how they mod them. The C900's use non-sport shocks (not yellow) & they would start with a longer shock tube, cut it down & revalve according to how the customer wants it. $150-200 per shock for the modification PLUS the cost of the shock is the going rate. With the sport shocks that our newer saab's use they can revalve them however I am not sure the cost, probably at least as expensive due to the shocks being more complicated.

Usually the revalving is for track purposes only, not needed on the street.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts