SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out here, I am running a 2.8V6 9-3 SS and about 7 months ago I fitted koni yellow adjustable dampers with 40mm H&R springs. The car has been fine up until fairly recently where now when I co over a speed bump or similar I get a crunching noise as the suspension goes up and down a bit like the noise a tyre would make hitting the arch , which is not the case.
I am also getting some creaking and twanging noises when I turn the stering.

I took it down to my local performace car garage nearby and he had a ood look under the car when up on the ramps and could not see anything obvious, all the joints were tight, no undue movement in any of the struts / steering.

Can anyone shed any light into what it might be ??

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
103 Posts
The crunching sound may be do to dirt or sand that has gotten trapped, sandwiched between the perch and spring. Usually there is a rubber tube that slides over the ends of the springs were they seat on the perch.

There's only one thing I can think of the twanging sound is coming from. When the spring/strut assembly was installed back on the car the top spring perch was not aligned correctly. If this is the issue you should get the noise when you turn the wheel. This is because the top perch is hitting the wheel well and can not turn so the spring continues to rotate with the rest of the strut assy. and the spring unseats up top thus creating a twanging sound.

FYI- I haven't seen what the top spring perch looks like but if it is not concentric about the strut (meaning if the strut does not bolt to the top perch in the center) I would put my money on this....Also check behind the top spring perch. Is the wheel well scratched (like maybe the perch is hitting it) It's a quick tell tale sign.

Sorry for the length but i don't get on as much lately so i wanted to get it all in. GOOD LUCK:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had this same problem. Put the car on a hoist with the wheels off and disconnect the sway bar links. Then move the sway bar up and down, I am willing to bet the bushings are shot causing the bar to creak as it turns in the bushings. Mine sounded awful. The only fix is to change them.Creaking and twanging is most likely the springs moving in the pocket from dirt or mositure, last winter I ran into both of these problems, but now they're fixed. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts