SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not get top nut off with hex socket and open end wrench. Took it into shop, used air gun on it. Spun whole shaft out of shock, fluid everywhere.

As you all know, the FSD's come in a complete set. I only have 50,000 miles on the set, and instead, I'm thinking of just buying one like shock. Do you guys think that a Sachs would be comparable to the FSD in terms of rear end ride quality? I'm hoping any difference is negligible.

I've also thought of the KYB GR2. I just bought new tires and put a new spacer on the driver side shock spring without issues. So in a nutshell, instead of me buying two new rear shocks and taking the drivers off again, I'm hoping to get away with buying one off brand shock. Just wanted to get your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have you tried contacting Koni. They have a good customer service from my experience.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I agree on not mixing.... I like all my audio equipment to match. But the idea of spending money on a complete set, no matter the brand, with only 50K on the FSDs, I'm thinking one off shock, especially the rear, will suffice.
To me the FSDs are more comfort driven, than sport or superb cornering, but for my ocassionally spirited driving.... Eh.
50 mi a day, straight back and forth. I certainly wouldn't mix the front if a strut went bad.
I wish I could devise a cover to put over the shock tower to protect that nut and shaft from corrosion. Or a crap load of lithium grease the next time around.
The top bushing sleeve was corroded so bad, that it fused to the shaft. I couldn't get the metal bowl off as a result. Used a grinder to cut the sleeve off. Dang!

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth a shot.... I'll do that just to see.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
You can buy one shock ( or it may be replaced free. Call Koni customer service tell them your problem or jsut say it fell apart and you want a replacement they will have you send it in and either fix it, replace it or sell you one.

Better than buying a whole set, worst case thee tell you to do that why not try

http://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSite/media/itt/NA/pdf/warranty.pdf

KONI North America | 1961 International Way | Hebron, KY 41048 | Telephone: (859) 586-4100 |

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a word in..... But you can't buy just one FSD shock. It's sold as a set. Koni would have to make an exception with this.
But retailers sell as a whole.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Yes you can buy just one, if you get it direct from them If you own a set ( and maybe can prove ownership) They sell them for 50% of retail if you send one in... Just call, buy one for 50% off, they send it. when you send yours in if they say its was damaged or not repairable you are done with a new shock IF they feel it was due to a problem on their end they will refund the money.. All the info is on the site, please read

Read thier website, I have done this before, its a good deal...

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do.... Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.