SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I get Koni adjustables for my Viggen? Every listing, including Koni, says 99-02 9-3, except for Aero and Viggen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good News

Yep, everyone reports they're not for the Viggen or Aero, quite why I don't really know, however I can assure you they DO fit.

I have a certain Lightning Blue car on the drive outside, with Koni adjustables on :cheesy: . They are a huge improvement over the standard dampers at pretty much any setting and imo worth every penny.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yep, everyone reports they're not for the Viggen or Aero, quite why I don't really know, however I can assure you they DO fit.

I have a certain Lightning Blue car on the drive outside, with Koni adjustables on :cheesy: . They are a huge improvement over the standard dampers at pretty much any setting and imo worth every penny.

where did you purchase your adjustables from? i am mainly trying to find out if you got yours from genuine saab or another google retailer

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
where did you purchase your adjustables from? i am mainly trying to find out if you got yours from genuine saab or another google retailer
Try importrp.com. The web site sucks, but they are good :) If they don't have them listed just call... they ship for free which means they usually come out cheaper than tirerack.com. They found me a set (direct form Koni) when everyone was whining that there were no Koni's available. You can get the numbers off the Koni site to make sure you get the right ones.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Or get some Bilstein B6/B8's which IMO are a better shock;) One reason why Koni's may not be listed for Aero/Viggen is that these cars came with very stiff springs ( stiffer than many aftermarket lowering springs infact) and the compression damping on the Koni's are not much more than stock so they may have been deemed to be mismatched. Obviously if you choose to get some lowering springs with lower spring rates they will work better.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
How much did you pay for yours Bob? Can they alter height at all? Or is just firmness that's affected?
The only thing you are adjusting with them is the damping, no height adjustment. But, I think it's a big feature in these cars as the suspensions are so funky that you need every advantage you can get. Once you get it dialed in it's oh so nice.

If you're doing shocks, you might want to install some Eibach or Koni springs too since you're doing all the labor. I'm big on Eibach having installed them recently. See saablink.net for the "Eiback & Koni Winning" thread.

If you really want height adjustment, you need to do something coilover. GS has a kit but last I heard they wouldn't ship, only install in their shop. There's the "slammed Saab" thread here with some discussion of a custom solution for that or search for "coilover". I hemmed an hawed for a while as I wanted a coilover solution (Winter adjustable :) but I finally just went with the Eibach and I'm happy I did - at least until it snows.

I bought mine a while back and prices have been steadily rising, so it's probably irrelevant at this point. But, you got me curious... Looks like the current price at importrp.com is about $162 ft (koni # 8641 1389)and $149 rr (koni # 8041 1191), no shipping. As I mentioned, their site sucks, so search for the part numbers if you want to order. Tirerack is 166/145 plus shipping. Tirerack is out of stock as of today on the rear (they are always in low stock there). I'd call importrp before ordering too if you are in a hurry to make sure they have them. They can have them drop shipped out of Koni if they are out of stock but you pay shipping.

If you go with Eibach route, check out autoanything.com - they have a good price, no shipping, and they give you a 15% discount the first time you order. The 15% only good for 24 hours after you arrive at the site, so have a spare computer, or a spare web browser, or reset your cookies, etc if you want to check them out. Only downside is that they drop ship everything so it takes an extra week to get them. But, that's under $230 delivered vs. $249 plus shipping at Tirerack for about $270 total minimum.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just to be clear Koni's are only user adjustable for rebound and not compression damping although you can get it done at the factory. Koni even state this is to be left at minimum and increased only to compensate for wear. I'll leave others with more knowledge to explain the effects on handling of increasing rebound damping or having insufficient compression damping.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Just to be clear Koni's are only user adjustable for rebound and not compression damping although you can get it done at the factory. Koni even state this is to be left at minimum and increased only to compensate for wear. I'll leave others with more knowledge to explain the effects on handling of increasing rebound damping or having insufficient compression damping.
Yep... and 'steins have better compression damping, but they're not adjustable. There's no perfect world, everything is a compromise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts