SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have take off my upper intake to see if I could pinpoint the coolant leak I have on the engine. Using an endoscope I can see a pretty good puddle of coolant in the sections under the lower intake. I am hoping its not the damn head gasket but visually don't see anything specific at this point.

I just recently got the car it has 75k on it.

I was thinking about reassembling the upper intake and then using my camera to see if I can see where the leak is coming from but its tight as hell down there and the only place I can get my camera inserted is the side with the turbo which is hot as hell.

Would a compression test without reassembling the engine pin point the leak? Looking for ideas.

·
Super Moderator
1,452 Posts
You could try pressurizing the cooling system, as that could make a leak more obvious.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just posting a follow up. I have noticed 2 drops of coolant coming from the car when it is on. 1 drop is above the turbo from the hose. Very slow leak, but I can't imagine that drop making its way so deep below the intake.

2 I have a drop coming from the passenger side from the o-ring inside crossover feed tube as someone on here labeled it. Again I can't imagine the coolant traveling toward the center.

Man if only someone has photos of this engine partially disassembled to see if that a something else like the waterpump could leak in that direction.

Here are some photo's. The one with the yellow arrow is borrowed from someone else's post on here as mine is leaking same spot.

crossover feed tube.

Leaking o-ring is here, borrowed from other user on here.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Did you coolant pressure test?
You identified the 2 common leaks: turbo coolant hoses and heater core reservoir stuff on the front of the engine.
No coolant runs through the intake manifold - so I guess replace the stuff you found and then coolant pressure test to confirm all leaks are fixed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet, my local auto parts had the coolant tester but from what I read I'm going to have to get a special adapter for the cap, otherwise the tester won't seat correctly.

Going to order the hoses off eBay, apparently these degrade quick wondering if I should get the fluorosilicone ones which are pretty pricey so I don't have to deal with them going bad. Have to look up the o-ring and where to buy as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd get hoses from esaab or eeuro. Under $20 for both OEM hoses (12842478, 12842477). Personal experience they lasted around 10 years 140K before they needed to be replaced.
Back when I replaced the water pump I replaced all the heater core outlet reservoir seals
ACDelco 15-32584 (larger o-ring seal to engine)
ACDelco 12566429 (not round seals to engine)
ACDelco 12623461 (o-ring seal heater core pipe to reservoir)

i got the seals at amazon with the ACDelco label. These were identical but less expensive compared to the OEM Saab labeled version.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For the expansion tank you can use 9-5NG hoses. You need to cut one a bit, but as they have a thermal shield, it's worth it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ACDelco 15-32584 (larger o-ring seal to engine)
ACDelco 12566429 (not round seals to engine)
ACDelco 12623461 (o-ring seal heater core pipe to reservoir)
Davmac, thanks for the numbers! I was having a tough time locating them in the EPC. The "12566429" pin pointed to the diagram that gives me a better overview. I found the 12566429 but I can't find the other 2 numbers. How did you figure out the non saab numbers? I am attaching my epc page. I highlights possible leak points. Looks like maybe it could be thermostat gasket or an o-ring in some pipe #26 behind the thermostat. Could also be but less likely #22. The leak has to be above the v area other wise for gravity to pool the area.

O-ring 15-32584 looks to me likes its #21 in the diagram right?

I just picked up the cooling system test kit.

For the expansion tank you can use 9-5NG hoses. You need to cut one a bit, but as they have a thermal shield, it's worth it.
Vap, what year and engine model are the 9-5NG hoses? I will look that up, how do you know they have a thermal shield?

Saab 2007 Gasket Parts EPC.jpg
Saab Coolan Leak Highlighted.jpg
saab_b284_v6_ebay_s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for sharing that info, I see the heat shielding on them. Wonder why they didn't just add these to the hoses.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,452 Posts
https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=613834095

#23 and #29. You can see the shielding on the photo.

I've used it to replace a dying expansion tank hoses on my Turbo X. Someone on the SC told they should fit as-is, but I had to cut a rubber part of one of them for about an inch.
Makes sense, as the 9-3 coolant bottle is a little closer to the center of the car than it is on my NG 9-5. Using these hoses are a no brainer for the 9-3 given how inexpensive they are. The heat shielding should definitely help you 9-3 guys out too. ;ol;

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=613834095

#23 and #29. You can see the shielding on the photo.

I've used it to replace a dying expansion tank hoses on my Turbo X. Someone on the SC told they should fit as-is, but I had to cut a rubber part of one of them for about an inch.
The SC? Interesting, they look a bit different, can you post a shot of your engine bay? I was reading on the cooling system and how the hoses are now routed differently because of heat, also how the cooling system still works when the car is shut off.

I was looking on Amazon and they have heat shield sleeves you can add to any hoses. These cars run hot under the hood I'm going to try to see what I can do to keep things cool.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Saab Central =)

Interesting, they look a bit different, can you post a shot of your engine bay? I was reading on the cooling system and how the hoses are now routed differently because of heat, also how the cooling system still works when the car is shut off.

I was looking on Amazon and they have heat shield sleeves you can add to any hoses. These cars run hot under the hood I'm going to try to see what I can do to keep things cool.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Davmac, thanks for the numbers! I was having a tough time locating them in the EPC. The "12566429" pin pointed to the diagram that gives me a better overview. I found the 12566429 but I can't find the other 2 numbers. How did you figure out the non saab numbers? I am attaching my epc page. I highlights possible leak points. Looks like maybe it could be thermostat gasket or an o-ring in some pipe #26 behind the thermostat. Could also be but less likely #22. The leak has to be above the v area other wise for gravity to pool the area.

O-ring 15-32584 looks to me likes its #21 in the diagram right?
Yes: AC Delco o-ring 15-32584 = Saab 12584040 = #21 o-ring seal to the engine

Thank you Vap for the coolant reservoir hose info. Mine are new within the last year, but I'm tempted to replace with the 9-5NG ones.
For future reference the part numbers for the coolant reservoir hoses (Saab 9-5NG and 9-3 B284 V6)
- Saab 22955223: Breather hose (expansion tank left side to engine). This one goes from left hand of expansion tank and makes a right turn to the pipe that runs transverse across the engine.

- Saab 2295222: turbocharger return hose: this is the S-turn hose on the 9-3. It connects to the right side of the expansion tank closest to the cap. On the 9-3 it appears a nearly straight hose would work, but instead this hose makes an S-turn before connecting turbo to expansion tank.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes: AC Delco o-ring 15-32584 = Saab 12584040 = #21 o-ring seal to the engine

Thank you Vap for the coolant reservoir hose info. Mine are new within the last year, but I'm tempted to replace with the 9-5NG ones.
For future reference the part numbers for the coolant reservoir hoses (Saab 9-5NG and 9-3 B284 V6)
- Saab 22955223: Breather hose (expansion tank left side to engine). This one goes from left hand of expansion tank and makes a right turn to the pipe that runs transverse across the engine.

- Saab 2295222: turbocharger return hose: this is the S-turn hose on the 9-3. It connects to the right side of the expansion tank closest to the cap. On the 9-3 it appears a nearly straight hose would work, but instead this hose makes an S-turn before connecting turbo to expansion tank.
Correct number for the turbo charger return tube line is #22955222 :D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Did you guys buy new hose clamps? If so, 9-3 specific or 9-5 to match hoses? I'd assume it probably doesn't matter as hoses would be same size..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts