SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my 9-3 has developed a sort of knocking/grinding noise when i turn right and accelerate. Normally i would have though it was a CV joint gone, it only comes from the front right (right hand drive). So I have just had the CV replaced, but still the problem exists. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought it might be a brake problem as sometimes when pulling away i get a noise from the front right bake like it is sticking on slightly when pulling away slowly? my only other thoughts were steering rack, athough the garage also suggested a suspension problem.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
rallysteve said:
Hi there, my 9-3 has developed a sort of knocking/grinding noise when i turn right and accelerate. Normally i would have though it was a CV joint gone, it only comes from the front right (right hand drive). So I have just had the CV replaced, but still the problem exists. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought it might be a brake problem as sometimes when pulling away i get a noise from the front right bake like it is sticking on slightly when pulling away slowly? my only other thoughts were steering rack, although the garage also suggested a suspension problem.
Cheers Steve
A "clack-clack" or a loud "click-click" knocking noise are indicative of a badly worn CV joint....And this is accentuated by turning, and accelerating in that same direction...
But, this "knocking/grinding" can be something else...

The onus is on the shop to correctly identify the noise and its cause.. In other words, if the wrong part is replaced, the customer should NOT have to pay unless it can be proven that the replaced part was bad....
Guessing must be avoided..
Better,IMO, to ignore the possible CV joint noise and check out the brakes - and this may be easier/less expensive to diagnose..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks for the replies. CV was fixed under warranty so it doesn't worry me that it got changed. How to i check the diff bushings?
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi steve

to check the diff bushings you need to get under the car and grab the axels to see if there's any play at the tranny end. mine had about 1 1/2 inches i didn't know and the hub that connects to the diff broke. forgot to add the car was making the same noises as yours i thought it was a c/v and was not worried.

boB

·
Registered
419 Posts
Would a 9-5 have similar symptons for that differential bushing problem? Mine makes a grinding noise at turn.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Check the brakes....I had a similar problem with strange clanging noises from the front when I turned or hit bumps, as well as loud braking noises. Turns out I was missing a caliper bolt and the whole caliper was hanging loosely. :confused:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Missing caliper bolt probably means the person who replaced the front brake pads did not tighten it, bummer.

A missing spring on the front caliper would leave the floating caliper functional, but a little loose, that is a possibility too.

Suspension bushings and a loose suspension arm is most likely. Tim had a thread like that, recently, I think this one may be it:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118498

If the CV joint was replaced under warranty, hard to believe a Saab mechanic did not check that. The bushings are a pretty common failure on older models... :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, after having a look over the car myself, i found the garage (not saab) had changed the LH CV not the right one like i had asked! The car has today been back to have the RH CV changed. Although to my dismay it i still making the noise. I can't really describe the noise, it seems to vary from an actual knocking to a noise like someone dragging a piece of wood over a concrete floor. depending on how much i steer and how fast i pull away. The noise is only noticeable during low speed maneuvers.
My brakes seem to have lost some of their ability lately, and i do get a noise when i pull away straight ahead i do get a squeak from the right hand brake, as if its binding on. I really want to get this sorted as soon as possible, firstly because its annoying the hell out of me! and secondly i want to sell the car at the start of the summer, and noone is going to buy it while it is making this noise. I still have all the major mechanicals covered by warranty for a few more months, so if anyone has any specific things i can check. I Haven't got any ramps at the moment so i can't get underneath it, altough i am equipped to do pretty much any other basic checks on it.
Any Help greatly appreciated, cheers
Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, thanks for all the help and advice on this topic guys. I finally got chance to get my 9-3 up so i could get under it and have a look for anything wrong. Checked for play in the driveshafts...nothing, checked for play in the wishbones....none. Checked the brake discs, calipers and bolts, all present and correct. Finally, by chance, i sit up and bash my head on the exhaust, and low and behold, there is the knocking noise! The exhaust clamp from the Cat pipe to the flexi-pipe was turned 90deg and when moved hitting part of the engine casting. So when the engine rotates slightly on its mounts when pulling away, the slight movement in the exhaust was causing the clamp to bounce of the casting. a few seconds with a ratchet and its all sorted now! Hope some other people with this problem find the solution is this simple and nothing more serious.

Many Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
680 Posts
now thats using your head! :p

Im tracking down about the same problem - but I think its a bad strut on the passenger front... But I'll have a look at that exhaust clamp!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts