SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone just gets worse, rear screen naff still trying to get sorted and now knocking noise from engine bay, picked the car up from dealer who cannot get the rear glass and refused to do job, now knocking from bay area, switch engine off let it cool for hour or so start up no noise smooth as silk. any thoughts, cannot put my finger where it is coming from .

thanks
mark

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Next time you hear the noise open the bonnet and try to locate more accurately the area it's coming from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not too sure where noise is coming from think it could be belt area pully knock but i will check thanks for that

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I recently experienced a knock sound that turned out to be lifters. Seems to me a rod knock resulting from a piston pin or spun bearing will not come and go.

In my case the lifters were making noise that radiated to the pan sounding just like a lower end problem. But after just putting the engine together I knew it was not lower end. So I swapped all the lifters from a donor engine - fixed.

Another knock sound in another car I had turned out to be the balance chain hitting the cover. One of the spindles lost all teeth and the chain was flying loose.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I had a tap-tap-tap noise last year. It would do 2 taps per second at idle (1000 rpms), so I knew it wasn't anything internal to the engine. If I sprayed the serpentine belt with tire shine, the noise went away instantly and would stay away for a week or so. After 6 months, the noise went away altogether and has been away for almost a year. I suspect that something may have gotten stuck to the belt and finally fell or wore off. I do have a spare belt and idler pulley in the trunk just in case though... Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI everyone think ive got to the bottom of the noise. three upper engine rocker cover bolts where loose. tightened them up as been ok since ,also got my rear heated screen replaced, fingers crossed all up and running again.thanks to everyone for the input. best wishes mab
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts