SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a knock on my engine when I accelerate. no loss of power. it sounds like lifters or push rods? it sounds like a diesel when I accelerate. When its idling there is no knocking. Help with ideas whaT it might be. Thanks

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Sounds like rod knock....:( I just pulled my oil pan and will be doing the head gasket, the rod bearings and new piston rings for good measure.

Check out the sludge from this neglected 9k cse. That could cause oil starvation and some bottom end issues like rod bearing failures.

John

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
You have to get it to where I am now, head off the car and oil pan off the car and then you can push the pistons and rods right out the top, put new rod bearings on it and put it back together. Might as well hone it and put a new set of rings if it has a lot of miles.

Some people might argue its just as easy to pull the whole motor out of the car and I think I could have one out in 6-8 hours and then you could do the main bearings and the rod bearings and the piston rings and timing chain and guides and basically have a fully rebuilt motor that would be good for another 300k.

It took me 2.5 hours to pull the head and about 4 hours to get the oil pan off, so I guess its a wash, but I don't have to worry about the tranny or axles.

I am debating doing my rod bearings too, they seem to get worn faster than the mains anyway. I might just do it for good measure and the piston rings too.

Bearings 45 bucks and rings 100 bucks. Its the time and effort that is a pita.

Try listening to the engine with a stethoscope. A rod knock is pretty easy to hear if you know what it sounds like. Kind of a loping thump, thump, thump kind of sound... Have a shop listen to it. It can destroy the engine if that is what is going on with the car. Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
246 Posts
themodernoman said:
is it hard to fix if the rod is knocking? is it dangerous to drive the car?
can i perhaps fix it? thank you
this would be a great lesson on how an engine works... pick your self up an engine stand and pull the motor from the car. If the cars knocking chances are your going to need to freshen up the engine. There is no known simple fix for a rod knock. while you have the engine on an engine stand change the rod bearing and piston rings while your at it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
hey i should of read your whole post... when idleing in neatral if you rev the engine does the knock get louder? if not theres a good chance its not rod knock ,change the oil and let use know if you see any metal particals or silvery oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts