SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The "Check Engine" light recently came on my 2.5 V6, the local garage sent it off to Saab and they have said it was a fault with the Knock Sensor.

Can anyone one tell me what this does?!

Thanks!
Vince

·
Registered
88 Posts
mr2vince said:
Hi everyone,

The "Check Engine" light recently came on my 2.5 V6, the local garage sent it off to Saab and they have said it was a fault with the Knock Sensor.

Thanks!
Vince
I believe it retards timing, so that detonation (knock/ping) would not occur.
Detonation (knocking/pinging) usually occurs to engines running lean (too much air, and little fuel) or when timing is too advanced. This is bad, because instead of a proper burn, you get an explosion in the cylinders. This can destroy an engine fast.

That is the general info, i am sure others will be more specific.

BTW, this doesnt mean that your engine is pinging, just means the sensor might be dead/bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both Saab and the local garage have looked at it and said it was the sensor, but they cant get a new one until next week so im just wondering whether I should drive it in the mean time...

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you were driving on a spritzer (half gasoline & half water) like I do, I would advice you to avoid heavy throttle on low rpm, otherwise relax and drive, it won't make any damage... if it's only up to knocking sensor. Just make sure all other timing related components are fine, like sparkplugs, O2 sensor, DI... Mine is working OK, yet unable to neutralize all knocking because of a very poor fuel quality and there is nothing I can do about that (whole state is supplied from the same rafinery :evil: ).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi I worked at the V6 plant for years,

Don't worry about driving it, you have two of them one on each bank - if one fails it retards the ignition timing for that bank its called 'limp home mode' a vauxhall V6 sensor would fit - not that hard to find, theres only one bolt securing it - so don't get ripped off - it shouldn't take more than 15 mins to fit!

mr2vince said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Vince

1 - 5 of 5 Posts