SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi the 3-spoke Ronal's on my 89 16V car are becoming mega-dirty from brake dust. In addition to sourcing some EBC greenstuff or redstuff pads for the car, I'm considering trying out some of the Kleenwheels brake dust shields and I was hoping that some of you can provide some feedback on them? ...

I read in some forums that they make brakes heat up too much but I thought the newer versions had venting in them for airflow..

Anyway it's over to those of you who've used the product to comment now. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
c900 said:
Hi the 3-spoke Ronal's on my 89 16V car are becoming mega-dirty from brake dust. In addition to sourcing some EBC greenstuff or redstuff pads for the car, I'm considering trying out some of the Kleenwheels brake dust shields and I was hoping that some of you can provide some feedback on them? ...

I read in some forums that they make brakes heat up too much but I thought the newer versions had venting in them for airflow..
Surely if they've got vents for air, the dust will get out onto your wheels...?

Given that the back of the disks are covered by a plate, too, I'd be very wary of covering the fronts up.

Even ignoring the heat, the dust's gotta go somewhere.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
c900 said:
In addition to sourcing some EBC greenstuff or redstuff pads
GreenStuff are too lightweight for these cars. You'd put Greens on a Caterham, not a 1200 - 1350kg Saab.

The new YellowStuff formulation is very good. All the benefits of a high-performance pad but they work properly when cold and pad life is excellent.

The only reason to buy Reds now is that they generate less dust than Yellows.

If you use a decent paint sealant (Chemical Guys JetSeal 109 is very very good) then removing the brake dust will be much easier. In most cases, the dust will jet-off without requiring use of a brush. You'd re-apply the sealant every month or so, depending on driving style and environmental conditions.

It's worth noting too that if the paint surface of your wheels is worn (and if the surface is original then they will be) then the brake dust has a much better surface to bond to.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
philjohnhb said:
Unlike most alloys three spokes are very easy to wipe clean, one reason why I like them so much, so I wonder why you would need those discs.
Just an idea really. Hence asking here for advice. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If I was going to modify a brake system I'd try to get more, not less, cooling air to the rotors, calipers and pads. I don't see any advantage (except cosmetics) to the covers and can see a number of disadvantages to having them mounted.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
First, I'd agree that the greenstuff are not really enough to stop a 900 in a hurry. I'd recommend the redstuff Craig.
Dust is much more of a problem on super aeros, the dished part of the rim gets coated in dust, and it gets into the crevices at the end of the spoke. You need a decent wheel brush to clean them. I've dealt with it somewhat by using autoglym alloy wheel seal.

I've just ordered yellowstuff from ebcbrakesdirect.com. They don't list yellow stuff for the 900, but I had looked up the part number on another site.
For reference, here are the part numbers for rear handbrake 900's:

Greenstuff: DP2779
Redstuff: DP3779c
Yellowstuff: DP4779

I've considered the alternative of going for 9000 calipers, and maybe I'll do that when the yellowstuff wear out, but I had to get some pads in a hurry since the standard oem pads got cooked on the track..

Heres some sort of excuse for a photo :), I polished the wheels, applied the sealant, and they still looked fine after 150 miles:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
philjohnhb said:
Unlike most alloys three spokes are very easy to wipe clean, one reason why I like them so much, so I wonder why you would need those discs.
Why indeed. I was just cleaning some today and thinking what a breeze it was. Whoosh, whoosh - dust gone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts