SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upper heater hose blew off in extremely hot and humid conditions. Didn't notice the temp guage going well over red as I had a car full of kids and kin going to Wonderland (giant amusement park). By the time coolant steam alerted me, it was too late. Head warped and it appears block cracked do to extreme engine temps.
The car was on its last legs anyway and I've been on a serious hunt, but have not been able to close a deal on a new c900. Guess I have to step it up as I am now carless.
That's my punishment I guess for playing hooky from work for the day:evil:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Theres a word for that. I think its Karma ;)

Sorry about the loss, good luck on the car search.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this Jetman. Is the body to far gone to simply switch out the motor with another?

The car was on its last legs anyway and I've been on a serious hunt, but have not been able to close a deal on a new c900
You may have to settle for a used one, new c900 are getting rather hard to find. :D

Has anyone ever wired a buzzer into the water temp, oil pressure, etc? Or even just a flashing diode or anything that would bring attention to whatever is currently needing it? Maybe mount it a couple of flashing diodes on one of the auxiliary 3 gauge clusters, perhaps in-between the gauges, and mount it in the radio slot? I would think that would be enough to catch even the most distracted drivers attention and perhaps prevent catastrophic meldown.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truth be told I knew that this things cooling system was on its way out, but its been limping along well enough. There were way too many warning signals ignored. But I also was not going to put any money at all into it as I had no intentions of keeping it on the road. All told the $150 Saab did 31,288 km in one year with only a head swap (didn't even plane it) and a used fuel pump. Its been getting dodgier and dodgier as time went by.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
jetman said:
All told the $150 Saab did 31,288 km in one year with only a head swap (didn't even plane it) and a used fuel pump. Its been getting dodgier and dodgier as time went by.
I'll bet that it was pretty dodgy from the get go for $150 Canadian!

I thought that you were getting that 300D? It seemed pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That 300D had a rusted floorpan. I've looked at many cars in the past few months but nothing has worked out. I have been very, very interested in an '82 8VT but I refuse to pay the asking price of $1200 as it needs too many cosmetics (which I admittedly have) some tuning (no real $, but lots of work) and a new paint job if its ever going to make it through winter without rusting to pieces. Car has only a few tiny spots but you can see it is visually very porrous.

The $150 had snapped a valve spring, so for and NA auto of that vintage, I think even $150 was generous. IT actually wasn't that bad until 2nd gear refused to engage and I smacked it twice into curbs in the winter and bent up the various steering parts and tie rods. And the exhaust rotted out. And the ignition went. And the trunk floor rusted. And the drivers floor started to go. And the cooling system stopped functioning. And the headlights took a beating on gravel roads. And the passenger seat bottom flopped out. And....:roll:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
jetman said:
That 300D had a rusted floorpan. I've looked at many cars in the past few months but nothing has worked out. I have been very, very interested in an '82 8VT but I refuse to pay the asking price of $1200 as it needs too many cosmetics (which I admittedly have) some tuning (no real $, but lots of work) and a new paint job if its ever going to make it through winter without rusting to pieces. Car has only a few tiny spots but you can see it is visually very porrous.

The $150 had snapped a valve spring, so for and NA auto of that vintage, I think even $150 was generous. IT actually wasn't that bad until 2nd gear refused to engage and I smacked it twice into curbs in the winter and bent up the various steering parts and tie rods. And the exhaust rotted out. And the ignition went. And the trunk floor rusted. And the drivers floor started to go. And the cooling system stopped functioning. And the headlights took a beating on gravel roads. And the passenger seat bottom flopped out. And....:roll:
man, eastern canadian cars!!! wow! tough little saab. i'm really sorry to hear about all this jetman. i;m down in california and i have seen some cheap 110% rust free c900's for sale. today(Sata Cruz) i parked next to a n/a 16v 4 door that looked brand new, i think it was a '90. if u can bring one back from here its worth it. i know of a $1,500 88' t16 5speed convertable with some minor cosmetic issues for sale in portland, i wish i could buy it, garage kept with no rust-no salt! i nearly did what you did tho a few days ago outside reno nevada. i was climbing up very steep hills with my a/c on up to lake tahoe in 100F heat, had i not been low on gas and watching that guage the noticed i was 1mm away from red on the temp, i could have lost my Saab.(amazing how fast they cool when u turn the a/c off!!!- best of luck to you jetman! don't give up on saabs!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not giving up ever! Just trying to find the right one. I'd really like to find a decent one and do it right for once! Getting a little tired of driving bangers and now there is the girlfriend as a driver to consider. Really hope this 82 8VT deal comes through this afternoon!

·
Registered
237 Posts
still looking at that 8v huh!? i know you know about beacon motors, but i was just there the other night to get the injectors for the turbo swap, and i saw tons of c900, didnt check them out though, but im sure they have a couple of 8v's for sale....i saw a few that were 1985 and under years,,,dont know what model though,,,,just an idea if this deal doesnt go down! its right near your place too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts