SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 900 turbo has been running fine, kinda since i bought it last month and you all have helped out alot.

I spent all weekend, new rug, new seats (from another car) cleaning it. We had a new heater core, temp gauge put in, all works. today, new radio etc..

then i notice, white smoke. continues, gets better then temp goes to hot. Pull over, stinks, put in more radiator fluid and go home.

Everyone says its the headgasket, so question, before i kill myself is:

is it hard for me to do?
is there something they sell to seal it, or pour in and seal it,?

friend suggested pressure test cooling system, them decide.

Do you have to change it, or can you just use some store bought something to seal the outside, or pour in radiator to plug leak? and I assume then a new oil change and filter.

KILL ME PLEASE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Get a hydrocarbon test. Most garages will do this test for about £10. They put a tester in the expansion bottle to test for exhaust gasses in the water. Will confirm if headgasket is shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Probably is a head gasket, however, this is not a hard job to do. I have done several. The only special tools you will need are a torque wrench and a torque to yield guage. The latter is a special dial to tell you when you how far you have turned the wrench. I have not done one for about five years, but I remember this job taking maybe thee hours to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Make sure your not just leaking anti freeze. smoke could be from anti freeze leaking and burning in the engine compartment. And if the headgasket goes usually you can see milky oil from antifreeze getting into the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EvanD said:
Make sure your not just leaking anti freeze. smoke could be from anti freeze leaking and burning in the engine compartment. And if the headgasket goes usually you can see milky oil from antifreeze getting into the oil.
I can see a drip coming from under where the spark plugs are dripping onto the header so there's steam/smoke coming from the engine compartment near the battery, in that section and white smoke coming from the exhaust until the anti freeze runs low.

same day i get a nice satellite ready radio with new speakers and pay for all the damn re-wiring. NEVER ENDS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
gvish said:
I can see a drip coming from under where the spark plugs are dripping onto the header so there's steam/smoke coming from the engine compartment near the battery, in that section and white smoke coming from the exhaust until the anti freeze runs low.
Does it do that whens its cool out cuz it could be just moisture. or is it antifreeze thats dripping even when warm out?

If so it sounds like the headgasket. Its not too hard to do a headgasket you can do it leaving the engine in and just pull the head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Cooling fans???

Hey - congrats on all the work on the car.

As far as the overheating/smoke, i dunno, have you checked to make sure your cooling fans are cycling on and off. the car WILL overheat without them. I'd think something else is amiss since you were in there replacing heater core, etc.

Or if you are physically leaking coolant out of a turbo coolant supply hose, that could get on the hot manifold and make smoke underhood.

If you are getting white smoke out of hte tailpipe, consistently, it's probably a headgasket. You can do it yourself. When I was 17 I did a headgasket on my 83 8 valve turbo car, and trust me, the exhaust manifolds on those old 8 valve cars were far far worse than anything you encounter in a normal 16 valve head gasket swap. It's doable in a weekend. Make sure if/when you do encounter it that you do use the correct OEM gasket set (not some cheaper alternative).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
pay for all the damn re-wiring.
That re-wire charge is a scam. I had the same thing done about 5 years ago. All they do is cut the ends off the harness and wire in the deck. When I took my dash off I check the wires and they were the factory wires. Besides crutchfield has the connectors that go from the harness to bare wires to wire the radio in. takes like 15 min to do it all. hindsight is 20/20
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
gvish said:
or can you just use some store bought something to seal the outside, or pour in radiator to plug leak?
NOOOOOOO!!!!! Step AWAY from the SnakeOilRadWeldBarsLeaksGoop shelf in the car parts store. NOW. Keep your hands where we can see them...

Have a rummage around the forums - I'm sure I've seen some photos of blown HGs in here - then ask yourself what any kind of goop that'd seal THEM blows do to the fine waterways in your heater matrix and rad. It's revolting stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
That was the last move I made before I bought my saab. My oldsmobile had a leaky front engine cover gasket. It's an integrated mess that contained the timing chain, water pump, and front of the block. :eek: I put some bars stop leak in it thinking since it was only a small leak and such. WRONG what it did was actually pretty funny. Sure it plugged up the hole, but then it took the rest of that part of the gasket with it. you can poor coolant in and watch it come right back out. What I reasoned it did was plug the hole and stress the area of the gasket around it leading to a bigger area of failure. Did I mention I hate being an engineer? haha. No frets though. The best way to learn about cars is to get elbow deep in them. Surely you have a buddy who has done something similar to a camaro or something. I think someone here said it best. It's all mechanical, cold steel, it can be fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aznsaab said:
That was the last move I made before I bought my saab. My oldsmobile had a leaky front engine cover gasket. It's an integrated mess that contained the timing chain, water pump, and front of the block. :eek: I put some bars stop leak in it thinking since it was only a small leak and such. WRONG what it did was actually pretty funny. Sure it plugged up the hole, but then it took the rest of that part of the gasket with it. you can poor coolant in and watch it come right back out. What I reasoned it did was plug the hole and stress the area of the gasket around it leading to a bigger area of failure. Did I mention I hate being an engineer? haha. No frets though. The best way to learn about cars is to get elbow deep in them. Surely you have a buddy who has done something similar to a camaro or something. I think someone here said it best. It's all mechanical, cold steel, it can be fixed.
Head gasket for sure, no cracked block

he's doing the headgasket and machining if needednew water pump since he's back there
new radiator since it leaks
pressure test
fx fuel injection rail
fix all wanring lights.

less the 1,000$ everyone says just do it, so i'm going to have it done. This guy was a saab mechanic and he likes working on the car. So we'll see.

Tranny will probably fall out on the way home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gvish said:
Head gasket for sure, no cracked block

he's doing the headgasket and machining if needednew water pump since he's back there
new radiator since it leaks
pressure test
fx fuel injection rail
fix all wanring lights.

less the 1,000$ everyone says just do it, so i'm going to have it done. This guy was a saab mechanic and he likes working on the car. So we'll see.

Tranny will probably fall out on the way home


block tested ok
gaskets
re-soder the connections for the rear defogger
fc fuel rail and check injectors
oil and radiotor flud change
oil filter change
new radiator (old one leaks)
fix all anring llights
fix **** knob that now rotaties 360 degrees
rebuild upper block

$1,000.00 us. Was the right thing to do to I assume right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
gvish said:
block tested ok
gaskets
re-soder the connections for the rear defogger
fc fuel rail and check injectors
oil and radiotor flud change
oil filter change
new radiator (old one leaks)
fix all anring llights
fix **** knob that now rotaties 360 degrees
rebuild upper block

$1,000.00 us. Was the right thing to do to I assume right
Price is within reasonable for that kind of work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Rebuild upper block? sounds like a valve-job that you probably don't need, DO NOT forget to mention that your head has stellite coated exhaust valves that don't take well to the average grinding, in fact they will be rendered useless if they are ground.they should be hand-lapped only.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top