SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably isn't news to some of you guys, but it was to me. There are a couple different remote control receiver units (the small module inside the back of the console). In my '02 9-3, the module was part # 5265442. I found out there was a later unit, part # 5039128. The obvious difference being that 5039128 has an external antenna wire, as opposed to the tiny internal antenna loop on the circuit board on 5265442.

Anyways, I picked one up on eBay for $10. It significantly improved my remote range to about 25 yards. I routed the antenna wire up under the right side of the console behind the window controls to keep it away from the parking brake.

I know some people have modded their receiver by soldering a wire to the circuit board. To me, it makes more sense to just get one of the newer style units from a junk yard or eBay. Apparently 2001-2009 9-5's have the same receiver, and the later models are more likely to have the improved receiver, which may explain why some have decent range while others only work a few feet away.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Would you have to? It's just an RF rsceiver... I wouldn't think "the car" would even be aware of it, much like the ignition key antenna coil.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those newer style ones at Pick-n-Pull. The range on my 2000 9-5 was so bad (you practically had to be standing next to the car) that I swapped it out for an identical one, which also didn't have the external wire, and it helped a little bit, but not very much.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
See this thread on the antenna extension I engineered/am engineering... updated today : Free range extension for Remote/FOB!

As a side note, I've never seen one of those modules without an antenna wire sticking out of it... and I've seen a few dozen. I know my NG900 had a wire. All my 9-3's have one. Must have been a couple odd intervals where they left it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, all the 99-02 9-3's I've checked out at junk yards all had the receiver without the external antenna. I initially bought an identical unit thinking mine was faulty. They both had very short range. Sometimes they would only work a few feet away.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I know both of my 9-5s (2000 and 2001) have antenna-less receivers. I'll have to check out Pick-n-Pull this weekend and see what their Saabs have, assuming there are still some left. My 2000 still has horrendous reception, although my wife's 2001 is halfway decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts