SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 900s, automatic. The key has worked in this car for years, now all of the sudden it will not turn at all. Its like I'm using the wrong key all of the sudden. The key goes into the ignition but it will not turn at all like its locked. Also, I cant remember if the steering wheel locks when the key is not in it or not, but it is not locked now.

1 more question...There is a slim piece of metal that installs in the bottom of the gearshift lever, is this supposed to have pins or something holding it, mine never did, but then again it would still shift with no key. (it doesnt do it now)

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've had this car for 7 years now and I'd hate to send it to the yard.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
saber-4 said:
1988 900s, automatic. The key has worked in this car for years, now all of the sudden it will not turn at all. Its like I'm using the wrong key all of the sudden. The key goes into the ignition but it will not turn at all like its locked. Also, I cant remember if the steering wheel locks when the key is not in it or not, but it is not locked now.

1 more question...There is a slim piece of metal that installs in the bottom of the gearshift lever, is this supposed to have pins or something holding it, mine never did, but then again it would still shift with no key. (it doesnt do it now)

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've had this car for 7 years now and I'd hate to send it to the yard.
The bottom of the lock barrel connects to a gear and small springs that form part of the reverse lockout mechanism. Have you tried spraying something like a bit of WD-40 into the lock barrel?

Over time they do fail and the most common failure I've seen is being able to pull the key out when driving the car, but in your case it could be a different fault.

Do you have additional keys to try? If you only have a single key, don't force it since you'll break it.

Craig.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Keep trying, keep wiggling the key. The 99th time it will turn. Do not force it, more pressure won't help.
You can also try a new key, cut from the key code.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep, sometimes it took a little pushing down on the key to do it. Eventually, however, my tumbler totally failed and I had it rebuilt, without the reverse lockout.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What finally fixed the stuck key troubles in our '86T was a new switch - the electrical part the barrel ultimately connects to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts