SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son lost the extra key to our 9-5 wagon, so I am casting about for the most cost-effective way to replace it. I can buy the key blank pre-cut to my car from eeuro for a very reasonable $37. The all-in-one blank does not include the remote alarm transmitter innards which are another $117. Does anyone here know if the transponder chip is part of the key blank or the remote? We don't need the remote but would like to get the transponder (which I would need to bring to my favorite dealer/indy for programming) Here are links to the key blank and alarm innards

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/35117/Key-Coded-5184502/

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/8680/Alarm-Transmitter-Key-Head-5265335/

Alternatively, I could buy two new pre-cut keys and cut off the key part of the one original key and just hide the severed key head with the transponder in the car (probably permanently installed under the console somewhere so that it is within range of the ignition key antenna).

By the way, the dealer now wants $250 just for the key blank. What a deal!:confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
$250! That's a great deal! My local dealer wants $503+ tax! That includes the transponder chip and key cut. ( A total of $70.39 more than I paid for the car!)
I'm going to try and have one key programmed to two cars.... My 04 9-5 came with one key. My 03 9-5 has 2. I'm going to try and have one key from the 03 (to start) programmed to the 04.
(I've keyed the ignition 04 to work with the 03 key... Or a flat screwdriver...)
I'll start a tread once I get my 04 engine back together and to the shop for key programming.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Alternatively, I could buy two new pre-cut keys and cut off the key part of the one original key and just hide the severed key head with the transponder in the car (probably permanently installed under the console somewhere so that it is within range of the ignition key antenna).

By the way, the dealer now wants $250 just for the key blank. What a deal!:confused:
I've successfully done more or less what your thinking of doing.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267057&highlight=transponder

The transponder is in the key itself. The energiser / reader (loop) is part if the ignition cover. You can't separate the loop itself from the cover and still be able to use the cover, so I ended up purchasing a second hand cover (with loop of course, cheap on Ebay), inserting the transponder key through it, and hiding the cover / loop / key 'assembly' under the central console. The second cover is placed as per usual, just not connected to anything electrical (you don't really need the second cover, it's just to make it all look as it should).

I used the original key as a master to cut transponderless blanks, and 'permanently' inserted the original key in the loop. I can now start the car with any appropriately cut transponderless key. The original key is held securely in the place (inserted in the hidden loop) by means of rubber tube, electrical tape and a couple of pull ties.

Retaining the original key's tang (i.e. not cutting it off) assists in locating it within the loop, and if you ever need to re-use it to cut more blanks (best not try making copies from a copy) then it's not too hard to retrieve it from where it's hidden.

More info in the linked thread. Any questions please ask.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Buy the precut key from eeuroparts or thesaabsite $40

buy a complete key from ebay, generally for about $50 or less. Throw away the key, keep the guts and the lid

Go to an independent guy and get him to program it. $50

That's about the best I've ben able to do

·
Registered
588 Posts
Buy the precut key from eeuroparts or thesaabsite $40

buy a complete key from ebay, generally for about $50 or less. Throw away the key, keep the guts and the lid

Go to an independent guy and get him to program it. $50

That's about the best I've been able to do
Have you a link?
I wish I could... My key is the 4 groove key that is cut down the middle. I haven't found one cut for less than $300! (Unless eeuro got new keys...)
And cutting seems to be a huge problem in London Ont... (The dealer gets them from the US. $503+tax)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Have you a link?
I wish I could... My key is the 4 groove key that is cut down the middle. I haven't found one cut for less than $300! (Unless eeuro got new keys...)
And cutting seems to be a huge problem in London Ont... (The dealer gets them from the US. $503+tax)
Four groove? I've seen blanks with one groove down the middle on each side (as well as the earlier type like mine with no grooves). Transponderless blanks are very cheap on Ebay, from China, the UK, or the US. Have them cut from your existing key for reasonable cost.

A good locksmith should be able to do it (anyone with a vertical spindle key copying mill). But be warned, my experience is that when you say the word 'Saab', they may shut the door and hide behind the counter. You may need to strongly assure them that all you want is for the blank to be cut, and beyond that you hold them in no responsibility, i.e. no comebacks regardless of whatever does or doesn't happen with the blank they cut.

They'll also probably try to tell you that what you're doing won't work, that you "definitely" need proper transponder blanks and to have the car programmed to recognise it etc etc. Don't waste too much time trying to explain exactly what / why / how what you're doing will work, it will be outside their experience and they won't be hearing you (at least that's what I found at more than one establishment).

If you need to feel smug, after you have it working, pop around and show them...

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks. I looked here a few mo back and they wouldn't cut the type 2 key. Now they do. Great!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

I ordered two keys and a receiver unit that I plan on stashing under the console. Will let you know how it works. Don't want to go to the dealer to beg them to program keys.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does anyone know exactly how the twice works? I mean... Does it read the RFID from the key and save it? Does any one know the RF Band?
I programmed extra keys for my old Dodge Caravans... They said in the manual that the key could only be programmed once. I didn't test this. ( I should have...)
The way I understand the SAAB way is the twice reads what ever code that is on the key presented during programming and saves it as a key that is accepted. (Am I right in this thinking?) I hope so because I intend to have the 04 programmed to recognise the key for the 03 as well as having it work with the 03. One key 2 cars. (I've keyed the 03 ignition already.)
I've never got a strait forward answer about the key programming....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The way I understand the SAAB way is the twice reads what ever code that is on the key presented during programming and saves it as a key that is accepted. (Am I right in this thinking?) I hope so because I intend to have the 04 programmed to recognise the key for the 03 as well as having it work with the 03. One key 2 cars. (I've keyed the 03 ignition already.)
I've never got a strait forward answer about the key programming....
My understanding is that your understanding is correct. Further, whenever any new key (or more accurately, new transponder) is 'presented' to the car for TWICE programming, every key that you intend to be able to use must also be presented at the same time (or re-presented), even if that key was previously recognised. You can't just 'add' a new key to the list of codes the TWICE recognises as 'authorised', if you attempt to this do then it will result in the 'old' keys no longer being recognised. I recall reading that there is a limit on the number of individual transponder codes the TWICE will recognise, but can't remember how many this might be.

I have no idea what frequency is used between the TWICE and the transponders, but it's a different one in different parts of the world. For instance, if I were to hop on Ebay and purchase a second hand key from say the UK or the US, it will operate on a different frequency to that of my Australian delivered car, so my TWICE wouldn't be able to 'see' the transponder, and therefore it couldn't be programmed to recognise it. Some markets share the same frequency, but I can't recall which ones.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
keys--where is the transponder

My new precut blank keys arrived in the mail today. Before I go to the trouble of trying to "fool" the system by planting the programmed key inside the console, I might try to get the blanks programmed. Has anyone taken one them apart? I am trying to figure out if the "guts" part with the button is just for the wireless entry or if it also contains the transponder. I am thinking (hoping) the transponder is embedded in plastic key housing, so that I can just take the precut blanks somewhere to have them programmed.

The key to our jetta recently fell apart and the transponder fell out of it. It was a little glass cylinder that looked a lot like an old glass fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-key-remote-battery-replacement-1318/
The transponder is a black plastic thing. I believe it is separate form the guts that comes out with the battery in it.
The transponder from the 9-5 98-09 al work the same. The key shaft changed in 03.
I've seen photos of them taken apart but can't find the site now... maybe try on thesaabsite.com ...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts