SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Uncut Key With Remote?

I just found online an all in one uncut key that includes the electronics. Now will I be able to get this key, have it cut at a locksmith, and then program it to the twice?

BTW where and/or how do I find a locksmith who cuts saab keys?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
You don't need to pay the extra for the key containing the guts (you can use the guts that come with the key that comes with the TWICE).

In order to program the TWICE for new keys ignition needs to be in the on position, so you need either a key that fits the ignition cylinder or to remove the cylinder.
It can be a little difficult having both the transponder for the old key and the new guts trying to occupy the same spot. I would suggest removing the antenna from the trim, that way when you go to pair the guts that way you can place them in there perfectly without your original key head in the way, alternatively just wait till you have the cut blank combo key, or just don't worry about making the 3rd combo key and just program your two original keys and remotes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Oh man I didn't think of that. Just remove the ignition antenna to the side and keep the working donor key inside with my correct key in the ignition! Thanks jake totallt missed that logic, lol.

Jake can you take a look at my post 40. Sounds like I can program both my old keys transponder and both my old remotes from your last post. If that is the case I won't need to get a new key and then I won't need to get it cut either saving money.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Correct you can do that, just use the 'guts' remote to temporarily unlock the TWICE (allowing the car to both start and other keys/remotes to be paired). Then just pair your existing remotes/keys and you should be all set, you can pair the remote portion of the guts too and keep it has a spare or just not bother and sell it, the guts are normally pretty popular on the 2nd hand market.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
For the second part, I think you will need to remove the transponder part of the key. Otherwise the TWICE will get confused about which transponder it is programming. Some transponder keys split vertically (not too hard) and some horizontally (a bear to separate).

Another alternative is to get a blank plain steel key from Ebay with no transponder head at all ($10) and have it cut locally to fit your ignition, then just duct tape the All in 1 head to that. The only issue is that it's hard to find someone who can cut these keys, so look around your area for that first. If you can find someone, then that's a $15 solution.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think as jake mentioned, there should be no confusion if I just remove the ignition antenna circle and move it to the side and use the donor cars working key inside the loop. Then use my working ignition key in the ignition portion.

Think I am now ready to get a hold of a tech 2 clone. Need to get the car back on the road. I am going to post a video for others once I get the rest of the pieces (aka tech 2).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That should work two... you'll just need a few hands to do it. Someone will need to hold the remote head inside the antenna while someone else runs the Tech II. The wire isn't very long on the antenna.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
New TWICE in Car Now What?

HI guys I picked up a new twice and installed in the car. Took the antenna ring and put the working key in it to the and to the side. Tried to crank car over its cranking and not turning over. Battery is charged. So I connected the tech 2 and searched for codes. Pulled a P1460 - Immobilizer Active. NOTE. If new T7, MIU or TWICE module, program code in TWICE.

Anyone have any idea how to do this? :roll:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey guys just a quick update. Got it figured out. In order for it to all work I had to marry the twice, then setup immobilizer, then program the keys. I took pics and the whole nine. Will update the thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some problems with TWICE

Hello you all.

I also had a problem with my TWICE and it been replaced, but i have couple of questions.

First of all short story.
Problem was, that the car wont open from remote, only turning key in door and trunk. LED of allarm on instrument panel was working, not sure if alarm system worked.

Went to local garage which repairs SAAB's, they told me that i need to search for new TWICE along with iginiotn barrel and key. Found one on the ebay, and brought set to them.

After they changed TWICE and marrying it to the car with TECH2, they told me that the car just wont start, even though key is accepted. They said, that there is the chance that TWICE may be unsuitable even though it came from exact car (2001 9-3 SAAB, even codes on twice there identical). So they found another TWICE and installed it. Remote locking/unlocking is working now (also indicators blink) but there are some issues. Firstly, LED of alarm is not blinking at all, and alarm system is not working as far as i understand (Panic function doesnt work, LED not blinking, pressing NIGHTPANEL doesnt switch between full alarm system, and door only) another issue, that even though now i have 4 keys (3 blades and one chip) they managed to marry only one key (which came with TWICE) and their telling me that these keys are not suitable for marrying. While turning ignition on and pressing TRUNK button SID shows that 2 keys are married.

My questions:

1. Is it true, that TWICE from same car model (saab 9-3 1998-2001) is not perfect match to other car even though you have all parts (twice unit, ignition barell, working key).
2. Is it true that i cannot marry any key to the car using TECH2 even though i have original key and 3 working keys/chips from other car/old twice unit.
3. Is the new TWICE unit they installed is not working completely (because of passive alarm system) or it is possible that they just turned alarm system off?

sorry for my poor English.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You could have an odd electrical problem, but it sounds more like they do not know what they are doing. I have never heard of these problems with a TWICE and it would be very, very unlikely that you got two bad twice units.

It sounds to me like the only key that is working is the one that came with the TWICE. They did not go through the key programming procedure because the first thing it does is wipe out all the keys - if they did the procedure and it did not work on the extra keys, it would only show the one key programmed now. It shows two, which is the working key that you got with the TWICE and some other key that you did not get that is still programmed.

I think you need to find another shop and have them program the keys (bring them all with you, they all have to be done at the same time). Since that shop can't even program keys, I'd guess that the alarm issues could be bad programming - but it's possible there is something wrong with the alarm. Go somewhere else, have the keys programmed, and ask them to check the alarm programming while they are doing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for reply,

Thats what i thought after they told me that new TWICE from ebay is not a match, even though seller assured me that everything have to work. Suspicious increased even more after they told me that they cannot marry old keys to TWICE unit they found and installed.

Before changing TWICE i read a lot of forums on internet and didnt found in one, that it may be impossible to marry new (working) key to your car. Same goes with TWICE units.

One more thing id like to ask. TWICE unit i bought on ebay had ignition barrell along with it, and this shop also told me that it had to be changed along with TWICE. Is it really so?

What i mean, if i put key chip (which was bought along with new TWICE) into my old blade it will not work properly? Because even though garage told me that it is necessary to change ignition barrel, they didn't changed it, they only installed new TWICE (they found) and inserted new chip to my old key blade.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
No, you do not need to change the ignition barrel. If you have the kind of key that can have the chip swapped, you can just swap the working chip to the key that fits your ignition. Then all your key blades will still work. You still need to program all the keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today i went to one of the local saab club member which have Tech2.

At first we were unable to marry other keys as well, but later we started looking in TWICE settings. TWICE was set, that my car is PETROL, not DIESEL, surprisingly, after changing to correct setting all keys married to the car.
Since i had 2 blades and 1 chip, now sid shows that there are 2 remote keys and 3 transponders married to the car.... :)

Regarding alarm and inactivce LED, alarm system was turned off in settings, we turned it on, and now everything (except Siren) works. I think Siren battery is dead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m having a similar problem with my 1999 Saab 93. For a while when I would start the car it would say “key not recognized” first, then when I tried again, it worked. The remote unlocking functions were fine too.

Then a couple of days ago nothing. the remote unlocking didn’t work. The ignition was consistently “Key not recognized”. I read this thread, and it looks like the TWICE is bad.

BUT I might have found a solution. At one point I checked the fuses, and pulled #35. Then I turned the key, and the motor started!

I realize that fuse also controls the DICE, but do you think I could simply disconnect the TWICE and just use the oldfashioned mechanical locking system? I realize that the anti-theft systems would not function, but it’s an old car and I’m not too worried about it getting stolen.

Lastly, on the last trip before this happened I noticed that when I hit the gas hard it would accelerate, then drop out for a split second (the rpms went down) then pick up again. If I used a light foot on the gas everything was fine. I got a “check engine, and the code was P1549, which is about the turbo system. Somebody told me it could be because the fuel injectors need cleaning, and I bought an additive (but wasn’t able to use it, because of the above problem. I’m assuming these are unrelated.

Any advice would really help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Within the scope of factory wiring, you need TWICE to activate the starter relay. That can be bypassed IIRC, but de-powering TWICE should result in a no-start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for replying so quickly. But, believe it or not, when that fuse is removed, the car starts. Other things connected with fuse#35 don't function, like the turn signal, the high beam, the rear window wiper. But everything else seems OK -I can put it into gear, the radio, the low beam headlights. so,....?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I suppose there could be a failsafe mode, but I've never heard of that. You'd really need to look at the wiring diagrams to see exactly where TWICE gets power from, and what happens when it doesn't have power at all. I wouldn't entirely rely on the owner's manual or fuse panel legend for something like this - often times those are simplified abstractions.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts