SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have 2 keys and 2 remotes (banana) for my 9-3. Not sure about the 9-5 yet since I have not seen it yet.

Still a little foggy about the swap process. So I assume the the ignition cyclinder and the drivers and passenger doors are both key specific. So my keys are for my ignition and door only. While the 9-5's key are for its own ignition and door right?

The remotes all have a chip in them.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Correct keys match the lock cylinders.
To program any keys/remotes the TWICE needs to be 'unlocked' which means you need at least one key/remote already paired to it.
The simplest method would be if the 9-5 TWICE has a remote pair with kit, then you install the TWICE from the 9-5, get it married to the car with a TechII now pressing the unlock button on the 9-5 remote and using one of your original keys in the ignition cylinder the car will start, from here you can then use a TechII to pair your original keys/remotes to the new TWICE.
If the 9-5 TWICE only has a key with it, you can either take the chip out of it and put it in one of your current keys (if you have the keys that separate), remove the antenna so you can hold the 9-5 key in place while still being able to use the original key in the ignition cylinder or you can swap the ignition cylinder with the 9-5 one using the 9-5 key in the ignition cylinder (this can be a permanent swap (but then your original keys would be useless and you'd want to do the door lock too) or it could be temporary just to allow you to pair the other keys).

Also before any of this double check the fuses for the TWICE, DICE, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the clarification guys! I have not talked to the 9-5 owner yet to see if he has 2 keys etc. But I definitely need the remote from the 9-5 to be functioning otherwise the transplant (aside from the tech2) will not work if I am understanding correctly.

jake off the top of your head do you know what fuses I am looking for? The fuse box inside the car or the engine bay? I am about to put the twice and seat back in to see if the rice had any.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for the clarification guys! I have not talked to the 9-5 owner yet to see if he has 2 keys etc. But I definitely need the remote from the 9-5 to be functioning otherwise the transplant (aside from the tech2) will not work if I am understanding correctly.
You only need one working key from the 9-5. Ideally, the FOB works as well. :cheesy: Note that the key and the FOB, though generally referenced interchangeably are not the same thing.
The key has the chip that the TWICE reads not the FOB (even if the FOB is built into the key and not a separate unit as the banana).

as pictured here:

jake off the top of your head do you know what fuses I am looking for? The fuse box inside the car or the engine bay? I am about to put the twice and seat back in to see if the rice had any.
Fuse 17 (20A) - inside the car - is for the DICE/TWICE

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
You only need a key or remote, if you can get the remote it makes things easier since you don't have to worry about getting the chip out of the key, holding the key in the correct spot inside the antenna or swapping ignition cylinders. If you only get the key it can still be done its just a little more fiddly/extra work.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
... But I definitely need the remote from the 9-5 to be functioning otherwise the transplant (aside from the tech2) will not work if I am understanding correctly...
Just to clarify this: The remote (or key) and the TWICE have to be matched in the other car. That means that you can turn the key in the donor and that the car cranks to start (or at least is ready to).

The part of the "ALL-IN-1 key" that does the security work (the right photo form Dev) , or the part of the "transponder key" (the left photo from Dev) does not need a battery to operate. It's a little coil inside the key called a transponder and requires no power. It DOES have to be matched to the TWICE.

The battery is for the remote functions like lock/unlock only. However, there is a "backup" feature in our keys (discussed earlier) that allows a remote that is known to your car to bypass the transponder check.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Guys might have found a 99 9-3, in looking at the epc ( electronic parts catalog) and its showing 1999 to 2003 are the same is that correct?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I may have found a 99 9-3 sedan. It has a t5 unfortunately but the twice should work. So long as I can turn the key and the check says ok, right? Car has a bad engine so will not turn over.

The attached image is out of the WIS and is the system over view of the theft system with ODBII. 456 is the remote transmitter, which is the backup bypass if you have a working FOB correct? If one looks at the diagram, it almost looks as if the ignition key and antenna is broadcasting to the remote transciever (456) which is in turn talking to the twice. But based on what everyone has stated that IS NOT the case.

Other option is a 2000 9-5 with a bad engine as well. What do people think is the best bet here? If the 9-3's turbo fits my 2000 9-3 then I would at least have a backup turbo. Just me thinking out loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
If the key passes the check it should be OK, the TWICE isn't a common failure point, so I wouldn't worry about every car being bad, but occasionally it does happen.

That diagram is a little misleading, the 'radio wave' from the key antenna are just to show there is no physical connection between the antenna and key (its done via RF), if you actually look at the arrows, you will see that both the key antenna and remote antenna go to the TWICE unit and not to each other.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Jake that makes sense.

Guys now may have found a 9-3 SE 2003 convertible, can this TWICE from this car be used in mine? I am reading mixed answers for 2003 and up.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok guys so I picked up a 2003 convertible. Car starts. It has 1 key and built in remote (type 2 as per devs picture)

What does everyone recommend at this point. Should I try to get the chip out of the working key and put it into my key. Or can i just change the key blade on the new key?

Once I have gotten a hold of a tech 2 will I be able to marry my old bannana remotes and the other key transponder chips too? Or am I pretty much going to be stuck using one key? I guess the question is can I marry a different transponder chip/key to the new twice?

Otherwise I will only have 1 key.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
This is what I would do.
Have the new TWICE married to the car, you should now be able to start the car by pressing the unlock button on the new combo key remote and using your old key in the ignition cylinder. At this point you can now have all the keys and remotes pair to the new TWICE (you can have up to 5 of each I believe), it may be a little difficult to pair the combo remote/transponder since you don't have a key for it that fits your lock cylinder, but if you hold it carefully in the right spot it should work.
Order a new blank combo key and when it arrives install the 'guts' you already had programmed and get it cut to match one of your existing keys.

You wont be able to change just the blade on the combo key, its molded into the plastic casing, also the transponder is permanently attached to the 'guts' that also contain the remote.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd vary that a little for convenience, although it works.

If you can still order a "cut to VIN" ALL-IN-1 key, order one and swap the guts from the key that comes with the TWICE to the new cut key. Have the TWICE married to the car, put in your new cut key with guts, and it works. That way you get a new combo key out of the deal. But, if you don't want to have a combo key and are happy with the old style, skip what I said!

FYI - you can get the transponder to work like Jake says, but you really have to have it lined up just like it was the head of the key. Hanging to the side very much doesn't work.I would cut the blade off the key that comes with the TWICE and then you can hold the head unit right against the key head when you do the programming.

Once you program your new "remote head", you can use that for a spare remote too (might as well... you have it there... get it programmed).

The only bad news here is that you still have to tow this car to someone with a Tech II to marry the TWICE... or find someone who will do a house call. Since the tow can be expensive, paying for a house call might make more sense.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Last I heard VIN cut combo keys were taking several weeks to months to arrive.
If you pop the key antenna from the center console you should be able to get the guts to line up perfectly without the need for an actual key, that way you can be back driving the car again while you wait for the cut combo key to come in.
Alternatively there are blanks available on ebay and the like for a lot less than the VIN cut ones and probably quicker too, you will have to pay someone to cut it tho, works out a little more money but less of a wait.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Check with Saabpartsusa.com. They just sent me an email featuring pre-cut ALL-In-1 keys with two day shipping.

However, they list them complete with the "guts", which is expensive. You could check and see if they will provide one sans-guts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is what I would do.
Have the new TWICE married to the car, you should now be able to start the car by pressing the unlock button on the new combo key remote and using your old key in the ignition cylinder.
Ok I understand perfectly up to here. This is the back up way to start the car is you get the "key not accepted". This uses the Remote Control signal via the radio antenna unit (by the cup holder) to broadcast an ok "start". As per my manual "you can still start the car if you turn the ignition key to ON and press one of the buttons on the remote control." Then I should be able to start the car.

At this point you can now have all the keys and remotes pair to the new TWICE (you can have up to 5 of each I believe), it may be a little difficult to pair the combo remote/transponder since you don't have a key for it that fits your lock cylinder, but if you hold it carefully in the right spot it should work.
How exactly does this work (confused here)? Ok so my old car has 2 keys that fit the lock cylinder and 2 banana remotes. When I go to program I am going to put my original key into the ignition and turn it forward and have the donor 2003 9-3 key near the circle antenna in order to trick the twice into thinking that both the key and chip are correct? Wouldn't having the old key and old chip and then putting the 2003 donor key cause 2 different codes to be read/broadcast by the twice? :roll:

Order a new blank combo key and when it arrives install the 'guts' you already had programmed and get it cut to match one of your existing keys.
I understand this part. Order a blank key and then take the 2003 donor 2003's remote inside's (aka guts the board which has the transponder chip soldered to it) and place it into the empty shell of the blank combo key. Now I have the correct ignition key (which I will have to have cut) and the correct chip that is matched to the twice.

You wont be able to change just the blade on the combo key, its molded into the plastic casing, also the transponder is permanently attached to the 'guts' that also contain the remote.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts