SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a huge amount of threads on here and still can't find the answer.

Drove car for a long trip and parked it on Friday. Sunday before the snow storm headed back. Got into the car stuck the key in the ignition and got the "Key Not Accepted" on the SID. I could also hear what is probably the immobilizer relay clicking and clicking. Towed the car back. Tried the other key we have and still get the "Key Not Accepted".

Also tried to turn the key to "on" and hold the unlocking on remote on both remotes and nothing. There is also no message on the SID about remotes. My key doesn't have a battery its just the chip.

Car had been working fine before hand and the only other message we were getting was the service theft alarm. I changed the battery 2 years ago but didn't do the capacitors because I didn't see anyone mention it till I did more reading.

Any thoughts on where to start? Took the cover off the the top part of the ignition and made sure the transponder ring is fully connected. Put a voltmeter on the battery and getting 12.4volts.

When I head back to the car and open the door I hear the clicking non stop until the interior light dims. Then the clicking stops.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes as soon as the car was towed home tried the spare key. Same problem. As soon as we open the car door its starts the clicking sound too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
... the only other message we were getting was the service theft alarm. I changed the battery 2 years ago but didn't do the capacitors because I didn't see anyone mention it till I did more reading.

Any thoughts on where to start?
I'd start here...;ol; It may be worth removing the negative battery lead and let the car sit with no juice for about 30minutes forcing a reset.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will disconnect the battery negative and report back.

I will also take the battery module out and get the battery changed.

The last time I had this issue with the alarm "service theft alarm", I did not get the "key not accepted" which seems like a different issue.

I will also do a check engine light check with my code reader, even though its not on.

·
Registered
901 Posts
... turn the key to "on" and hold the unlocking on remote on both remotes and nothing. There is also no message on the SID about remotes.
I glossed over this detail the first time reading... :confused: This suggests the TWICE has forgotten about your key(s). There may be no other option than to source a TECHII to marry the key(s), again :roll:.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
You don't need to hold the unlock button, just press it and start the car within 30 seconds.
Has the inside of the car gotten wet recently, the TWICE is on the floor and prone to water damage.
Also you wont just be able to re-marry the keys, if the TWICE is in its locked mode (which it would be otherwise you wouldn't get the message) then you need to source a TWICE which can be unlocked and pair that to the car, then once its in unlocked mode you can add additional keys.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P1460 & Key Not Accepted Saab 9-3 2000 B205L

Hey guys, as far as I know the car hasn't gotten wet by the twice (its on the driver side under the seat on the side) I pulled out the battery today and got it tested and it said battery was ok. I am going to replace the alarm siren batteries tomorrow.

The previous week I disconnected the battery on the car because I had to do some work on the seatbelt. Of course I didn't disconnect the battery before I disconnected the tensionioner wire on the seatbelt. So I disconnected the battery for an hour to see if it would clear the airbag light. By the end of the week after about 20 cycles or so the airbag light went off. That same night took the car for a drive and then had this happen.

I put the ODB connector before disconnecting the battery today and got a P1460 aka "immobilizer active". Which was my initial thoughts with the car clicking. I am pretty sure the siren battery is spent. I wonder if reconnecting that and getting into the car is going to fire off the alarm now. :roll:

Jake this is from the 9-3 manual: This didn't work for either of my keys.
If the car does not start. If the text "KEY NOT ACCEPTED" appears on the SID when the engine refuses to start, the trouble may be a fault in the transponder of the key or in the receiver of the ignition switch. Proceed as follows:
• Turn the key back to the LOCK position.
• Turn the key to the ON position.
• Press one of the buttons on the remote
control (the LED on top of the dash stops
flashing).
• Start the engine.
Try the other key. If it works, the trouble is in the first key.

This is from the WIS:

Diagnostics
If TWICE does not send ”Immobilizer OFF” after the ignition has been turned on or if Trionic T7, TWICE or MIU control module has been replaced and the immobilizer code has not been programmed in TWICE, diagnostic trouble code P1460 will be generated and the engine will not start.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if there is anyway to test the antenna part. The ring by the ignition switch?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys just to update. Today I got a new battery soldered onto the alarm siren box. Put the siren back in and then the battery. "Service Theft Alarm" message is now gone. However, the "Key Not Accepted" is still there.

Took the seat out (had to use car battery to jump motor to get to bolts) then took out the TWICE. Opened the twice, dry, no signs of damage in the flooring area from moisture visible. The twice motherboard also has a glossy coat on it, which I am pretty sure is moisture protection.

Left wondering what to do. A clone Tech2 is about $400 bucks :(

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey guys just to update. Today I got a new battery soldered onto the alarm siren box. Put the siren back in and then the battery. "Service Theft Alarm" message is now gone. However, the "Key Not Accepted" is still there.
Does the SID still not show any married keys and does pressing a button on the FOB prior to rotating to 'start' still accomplish nothing?
Took the seat out (had to use car battery to jump motor to get to bolts) then took out the TWICE. Opened the twice, dry, no signs of damage in the flooring area from moisture visible. The twice motherboard also has a glossy coat on it, which I am pretty sure is moisture protection.
This thin layer of epoxy is normal (unless it is sticky). It is, as you expect, a moisture barrier.
Left wondering what to do. A clone Tech2 is about $400 bucks :(
Is there no one near you that has a TechII? I'm reasonably sure this will be the only way to find out for sure what is wrong.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DevPts the SID isn't showing any married keys. Its as if both remotes are not communicating with the twice either. I did change the battery in one of the remotes (eventhough i changed both less then 1 year ago) and nothing. The one with the new battery I believe has to get resynched by cliking it 4-6 times by the door. Both remotes were not unlocking the door and/or trunk.

I don't know anyone here in NJ with a tech 2. I could take it to a mechanic which I would have to have the car towed plus the fee for him and then if he says its the twice tow back till I get one etc. Probably a $300 dance right there.

Is there anyway to test if the ignition antenna coil is bad?

Also might be looking at a cheap donor car a 9-5 2000 station wagon. The twice and many other parts should be the same correct?

I have the twice sitting in a box with rice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
DevPts the SID isn't showing any married keys. Its as if both remotes are not communicating with the twice either. I did change the battery in one of the remotes (eventhough i changed both less then 1 year ago) and nothing. The one with the new battery I believe has to get resynched by cliking it 4-6 times by the door. Both remotes were not unlocking the door and/or trunk.
Changing the battery in the FOB has zero effect on the TWICE forgetting that any keys are married.
Place the key in the ignition, rotate to 'on' and press unlock at least 7 times quickly to resync the FOB. There will be no indication anywhere that the FOB was resync'd successfully. It'll just work - if it works. However, since there are no keys married to the car, I suspect this won't work.
The FOB antenna is in the back of the arm rest behind the rear seat air duct... perhaps it is defective or Broken?
I don't know anyone here in NJ with a tech 2. I could take it to a mechanic which I would have to have the car towed plus the fee for him and then if he says its the twice tow back till I get one etc. Probably a $300 dance right there.
Bang for the buck, probably best to assume the TWICE is done (as jakejm79 suggested), source a replacement, install it, tow the car to the shop and have things mated with the Tech-II.
Is there anyway to test if the ignition antenna coil is bad?
Yes, with a known good coil. I have a few... Could probably get one from the pic-n-pull...
Also might be looking at a cheap donor car a 9-5 2000 station wagon. The twice and many other parts should be the same correct?

I have the twice sitting in a box with rice.
The casing for the 9-5 has three screws to hold it to the car while the 9-3 only has one - the case is different though the circuit card is interchangeable. There are several other parts that are interchangeable as well. However, the 9-3 and the 9-5 are substantially different and, generally, can't be considered a donor for the other.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dev, thanks for all the info.

So the twice from the a 2000 95 is ok to use. Other parts im hoping are the same the antenna for the alarm, the turbo, the ac compressor, the ignition cassete. also hoping the key ignition and the shifter and mirrors are compatible. anyway to check compatibility?

·
Registered
901 Posts
...So the twice from the a 2000 95 is ok to use. Other parts im hoping are the same the antenna for the alarm, the turbo, the ac compressor, the ignition cassete. also hoping the key ignition and the shifter and mirrors are compatible. anyway to check compatibility?
You will have to remove the circuit board from the 9-5 donor box and put it into the 9-3. But, yes it can be used. You will have to have access to a Tech-2 to marry everything. The car will not start with the donor TWICE until everything is married. The real trouble here is that the donor TWICE only knows about the keys it was programed for (the 9-5 in this case). However, even though it will send 'key valid' to the immobilizer - presuming you swapped the tumblers. The immobilizer will ignore the signal because it did not come from a known source (the removed TWICE). The loop antenna around the ignition cylinder is also a direct swap.
IIRC, the FOB antenna is physically different. However, the wires can be spliced as the internals are the same. The DIC is a direct swap as is the shifter for the automatic. However the bezel is different - this will take some work. The ignition tumbler is swappable. The side mirror(s) and the A/C compressor are not swappable. The rear view is swappable with some minor mods. 'Verts have a more difficult time with the rear view mirror swap. The turbo, depending on type, may be a direct swap. There are plenty of threads covering this specific topic over in the mods section.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dev I will def need a tech 2 to marry the new twice as you mentioned. Question now is if I have the donor twice in my car can I marry both my keys to it? Or do I need to marry the new key and put in the new tumbler as well? Which also means do I have to change the door handle tumbler? I see on ebay people selling the twice, tumbler (ignition) and the driver side door with the remotes.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
In order to add new keys you will need one existing working key or remote.
If the 9-5 has a remote you can use that and then just add your existing keys and not worry about the 9-5 keys. If it doesn't you can either try removing the chip from the 9-5 key (some of the keys split apart to get at the chip others don't) and swap it into one of your keys or you can remove key antenna from the console and then hold the 9-5 key in place while you turn the ignition with one of your keys. This isn't always 100% reliable, you can always temporarily swap the ignition cylinders too.
I assume that you don't have the later combo key since you mentioned you had a separate remote, if you do happen to, you can just swap the guts with the 9-5 one if that has the combo key too.
Either way you will need at least a key or remote for the 9-5.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts