SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2006 Saab 9-5 2.3t From a dealership in Ohio. I have been driving it fine for a while, then one day about a week after changing the Key Battery (key+fob single unit) the error "Key Not Accepted, Contact Service" Error message pops up 95% of the time on the SID. I can reset the battery with rarely works. Please help. I repeatedly turn this car off and on for work delivering pizzas and phone books. PLEASE HELP!:(

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't tell you what is causing this, but a suspect might be the TWICE unit. The TWICE (can't recall what the acronym stands for) is incorporated in the ignition barrel cover.

You could pick one up from a wrecking yard pretty cheaply, and fitting is easy. Just rotate the whole cover until it comes off, disconnect the wires, fit the replacement. Shouldn't cost much just to rule it out if nothing else...

Others may have a better idea where to look.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The actual TWICE unit is under the driver's seat, but the receiver is the plastic piece around the ignition barrel.

It's a long shot, but you can try removing the receiver as John suggested. Link below shows how to do it (there's a little plastic clip on the connector that you have to press).
http://saabworld.net/f29/ignition-switch-cylinder-removal-instructions-saab-9-5-a-26395/

I'm guessing you only have one key, but if you have another, try that. I believe the car can still be started even if the key battery is dead. Also, I changed the battery in one of my keys and bent one of the little metal contacts, causing it to work intermittently - so you might consider popping the key apart again and checking that.

Lastly, the manual says you can get around this error by doing the following:
"Turn ignition switch to ON and press the unlock button on the key. Start the engine."
You should also try turning the key to the On position and pressing the trunk open button on the key - This shows how many keys are programmmed to the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The actual TWICE unit is under the driver's seat, but the receiver is the plastic piece around the ignition barrel.

It's a long shot, but you can try removing the receiver as John suggested. Link below shows how to do it (there's a little plastic clip on the connector that you have to press).
http://saabworld.net/f29/ignition-switch-cylinder-removal-instructions-saab-9-5-a-26395/

I'm guessing you only have one key, but if you have another, try that. I believe the car can still be started even if the key battery is dead. Also, I changed the battery in one of my keys and bent one of the little metal contacts, causing it to work intermittently - so you might consider popping the key apart again and checking that.

Lastly, the manual says you can get around this error by doing the following:
"Turn ignition switch to ON and press the unlock button on the key. Start the engine."
You should also try turning the key to the On position and pressing the trunk open button on the key - This shows how many keys are programmmed to the car.
My Key Fob doesnt work either. Hasn't since I bought the car. New battery didn't help. Key turns fine. Just locks until u take it out whenever it says Key Not Accepted. The Unlock button trick henceforth doesn't work, considering the key fob doesnt work. What can I do for cheap cheap cheap?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I route around the whole security system somehow? Until i get the 500-1000 dollars that i know its going to cost me to fix it... :/

·
Registered
390 Posts
NOPE, you cannot bypass it. Trust me I have looked into this myself. I recently had to replace my TWICE unit in my 01 Viggen. My wife actually lost the last key. By the time it was all over I spent about $650. HOWEVER, that is because I bought a TWICE unit from the UK that didnt work first, then I bought 2 key blades(which you do not need), then had to pay the shop to not only try to program a TWICE unit that wasn't compatible, but to program the next one I had to buy. All told, now I have 3 key blades, 2 of them have complete remotes attached, and a TWICE unit.

Had I gotten the good TWICE(with remote mated) unit first off, plus one key blade(which you don't need) it would have cost me just about $210. TWICE unit mated to a key from ebay for $125, new blade for $35, and TECH II programming for $50.

Incidentally, my wife found her key, so now I have a spare TWICE unit mated to a key if you find that you need it.

If your key is still working, intermittently, I would get it diagnosed while it is still working. If all you need is a key you could get away with a used one on ebay for like $30 and have it mated to your car for about $50. If it is just the receiver ring, you could get away with a $5 part from a u pull it yard. I would try that first. If you wait til it no longer starts at all, you will not only be stranded, but you will have to spend the big bucks to get it fixed. And unless you have towing service you will be paying for a tow.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Find another remote or key fob that works; use that to start the car for now until you can have one reprogrammed to the ca If the remote won't work the car won't start; it's not the TWICE If it didn't get wet.

What can I do for cheap cheap cheap?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Find another remote or key fob that works; use that to start the car for now until you can have one reprogrammed to the ca If the remote won't work the car won't start; it's not the TWICE If it didn't get wet.
If he doesn't get another remote before his intermittent remote dies, he will need a TWICE.

If he gets another remote it will need to be programmed to his TWICE with a TECH 2. Even if he doesn't replace the TWICE. You cant simply buy a remote and have it work.

I think this is the quickest and cheapest way to go. HOWEVER, there is always the possibility that there is another issue. The receiver ring may be bad too. I had one go bad on my 9-5. That is like $5 at a salvage yard.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
NOPE, you cannot bypass it. Trust me I have looked into this myself.
I have a vague recollection of seeing all the dash lights on when getting the "key not accepted" message (not sure that I did, just seem to recall that I did).

Does the ignition (and other systems) still activate when "key not accepted"? If it does, is it only that the starter motor solenoid doesn't get power that prevents starting the engine? If so, would it be possible to run a hot wire to the starter solenoid, and to switch this hot wire through a push button?

Just thinking out loud, even if this got the engine started, it might cause other issues? If not, and the engine can be started by doing this, it might be a viable emergency option??

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There are so many systems that are tied into that little module. You have every component that makes that car run tied into it somehow.

I have a vague recollection of seeing all the dash lights on when getting the "key not accepted" message (not sure that I did, just seem to recall that I did).

Does the ignition (and other systems) still activate when "key not accepted"? If it does, is it only that the starter motor solenoid doesn't get power that prevents starting the engine? If so, would it be possible to run a hot wire to the starter solenoid, and to switch this hot wire through a push button?

Just thinking out loud, even if this got the engine started, it might cause other issues? If not, and the engine can be started by doing this, it might be a viable emergency option??

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
There are so many systems that are tied into that little module. You have every component that makes that car run tied into it somehow.
Yes, but does that mean those systems (some or all) will be disabled? I can see a good argument for not allowing this, because in the event of a spontaneous failure of the TWICE system on the move, you wouldn't want the engine or other vital functions to unnecessarily and potentially dangerously shut down (i.e. you don't want easily avoidable / conceivable / foreseeable lawsuits...).

All that the TWICE system needs to do with respect to preventing theft is to disallow unauthorised starting of the engine, easily achieved by preventing starter solenoid activation. Of course, it may not be this simple...

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Here we go again; don't knock it if you haven't done it; It's a fact.

If he doesn't get another remote before his intermittent remote dies, he will need a TWICE.

Make me understand this?

If he gets another remote it will need to be programmed to his TWICE with a TECH 2. Even if he doesn't replace the TWICE. You cant simply buy a remote and have it work.

Any working remote will work; programmed or not.

I think this is the quickest and cheapest way to go. HOWEVER, there is always the possibility that there is another issue. The receiver ring may be bad too. I had one go bad on my 9-5. That is like $5 at a salvage yard.
Why waste money on a TWICE when you don't need one; if you replace the twice you will need the key for that TWICE and you have to spend the money to program the TWICE and Key

Again I repeat; any working remote will start the car Without programming...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If you have a friend with a Saab (93 or 95) and a spare key with a working remote/fob; borrow theirs temporarily, then get one on ebay and have it programmed to your car; the total shouldn’t be more than a $150 to solve the problem.

The security system is that ring on the cylinder (that's the immobilizer to the TWICE). When you press the remote while turning the key it bypasses the immobilizer and sends the start signal directly to the TWICE; thus starting the car. The only PITA is you have to do this every time you start the car.

Can I route around the whole security system somehow? Until i get the 500-1000 dollars that i know its going to cost me to fix it... :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 saab 95 AERO a/t key not accepted error

im driving home one night and the car i noticed wont downshift its stuck in 5th gear so i put it in M(manual) and i notice nothing happened on the SID it still shows its in D(drive). so traffic slowed down and i pulled over on the side of the freeway and turn the car off and try starting it again and it showed me the message (key not accepted. contact service.) and the check engine light came on and a ! light came on with a gear around it. had my OBD scaner and i scanned the car and a code came up for the transmission p0705 (transmiion range sensor A (prndl input))
Had the car towed home :(

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
im driving home one night and the car i noticed wont downshift its stuck in 5th gear so i put it in M(manual) and i notice nothing happened on the SID it still shows its in D(drive). so traffic slowed down and i pulled over on the side of the freeway and turn the car off and try starting it again and it showed me the message (key not accepted. contact service.) and the check engine light came on and a ! light came on with a gear around it. had my OBD scaner and i scanned the car and a code came up for the transmission p0705 (transmiion range sensor A (prndl input))
Had the car towed home :(
Likley you have a problem with the transmission gear selector position switch that sits on the gearbox.Could be wiring/need a clean or replacement.
eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-05-08-...721396?hash=item1c607a7134:g:a3UAAOSwBahVedJV

There are other threads if you search

1 - 16 of 16 Posts