SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the skinny:

GF drowned my ONLY key (bought the car used) in water.

Keyless entry does not work. Car starts, but it "rejects" the key sometimes.

Went to the dealer. They said they have ZERO in stock. No estimated delivery date (they said "September to January").

Any options?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Schmelz countryside saab dealer in Minnesota had some in stock a month ago. You should see if they can order from another dealer.

Did you open up the key and clean off the connectors?
Might just need a new battery, also.

BTW. My wife had washed mine and it still works fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you open up the key and clean off the connectors?
Might just need a new battery, also.

BTW. My wife had washed mine and it still works fine.
I did. Changed the battery as well. Nada.

The issue was that I had no idea that they key had been wet...so it stayed like that for a few hours.

Saab Customer service guy basically said: "sorry. there is nothing we can do."

(called countryside, none in stock).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its funny that your car would start, which would mean the key is still communicating.

How does it reject your key? No start or no steering unlock?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
No keys in stock? You're paying for the new key. Why don't they order you a new one? You shouldn't need a new brain so a new key should be able to be programmed. I can't see how a dealer would say "sorry we cant get any of those"...what good are they to anyone if they can't get the parts you need to fix the car? Call around. Maybe you can buy the key somewhere and ship it to yourself and have the dealer program it.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
keys/fobs are on back order both sides of the pond..

already been discussed in the last 2 weeks..

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Its funny that your car would start, which would mean the key is still communicating.

AFAIK the RF ID tag is not part of the Remote transmitter function/circuit which has probably shorted.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Damn that sucks. I guess its not just your dealer who's being worthless. Oh well. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I forget the exact language on the SID, but it says something like: ~"key rejected. contact service."

It started the car just fine the first few times. But intermittently, it gives me that message and does not not start the car.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There might still be some moisture in that key, try opening it up and setting it in front of a Hair drier on low for a while. Ya never know....

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Anybody tried a VOR Order?

Generally if they are ordered on a Vehicle Off Road basis, they can get the parts faster, often pulling from the production line.

Worth asking the question, but I guess dealers are reluctant to do this as it costs them more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody tried a VOR Order?

Generally if they are ordered on a Vehicle Off Road basis, they can get the parts faster, often pulling from the production line.

Worth asking the question, but I guess dealers are reluctant to do this as it costs them more.
well, the problem is...there is no production line to pull from...they simply aren't being made (as per my dealer)...1500 or so on back order.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
well, the problem is...there is no production line to pull from...they simply aren't being made (as per my dealer)...1500 or so on back order.
Utter rubbish i'm afraid. The 1500 on back order is simply the spare parts inventory situation.

The 9-3 is rolling off the production lines at Trollhattan again now and I am pretty confident they are getting keys for these, otherwise people won't be able to drive them.

Certainly haven't heard of a new ignition switch and key set for 2010 models, so stands to reason that someone somewhere will be able to make a decision to divert some keys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Utter rubbish i'm afraid. The 1500 on back order is simply the spare parts inventory situation.

The 9-3 is rolling off the production lines at Trollhattan again now and I am pretty confident they are getting keys for these, otherwise people won't be able to drive them.

Certainly haven't heard of a new ignition switch and key set for 2010 models, so stands to reason that someone somewhere will be able to make a decision to divert some keys.
it doesn't mean that replacement parts are being made...probably just enough to keep up with the demand from the factory.

I've called saab dealers in five different states. none of them had transmitters or could get them...seems like a major problem.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ive got exactly ONE NewInBag that I was going to put on Ebay tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't wait for the RFID tag to go bad! As others have said it doesn't need batteries and should be completely sealed against water, but since you are starting to have problems, get a replacement off ebay or some other source if its at all possible. It sounds like you are already having trouble with the old key.

I was at the dealer for service last month and they flat-bedded a 9-3(or maybe 9-5) in from a customer who lost their only key. The owner was surprised to hear of a $800-$1100 charge to get a new key control unit and two keys, since they need a working key to make a duplicate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't wait for the RFID tag to go bad! As others have said it doesn't need batteries and should be completely sealed against water, but since you are starting to have problems, get a replacement off ebay or some other source if its at all possible. It sounds like you are already having trouble with the old key.

I was at the dealer for service last month and they flat-bedded a 9-3(or maybe 9-5) in from a customer who lost their only key. The owner was surprised to hear of a $800-$1100 charge to get a new key control unit and two keys, since they need a working key to make a duplicate.
If I source one off ebay, can it be re-programmed to my car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts