SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First started last week. Both keys had been working fine. Then one day I couldn't unlock the car with either fob. I removed the metal key from one fob but that just spun in the lock. The second metal key unlocked the car and the alarm went off. I was able to re sync the keys by inserting each one in the ignition. I put fresh batteries in both keys and have replaced the plastic housings.

All was well for a couple of days but same thing happened again after going for a drive. Seems the problem is only happening when I drive the car. I bought a brand new Duracell car battery today and charged it fully when I got home.

If this doesn't fix it, I'm thinking of replacing the ISM with a new one from eBay. The roof had been left down about s month ago during a rainstorm and I'm thinking there may be some corrosion going on there.

If I replace the ignition switch module, will I have to get two new keys programmed to the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE. I replaced the battery in the car with a new Duracell and then charged it up to 100%. New plastic housing on the keyfobs and new energizer batteries. One keyfob seems to work flawlessly for now. The other one keeps showing low battery. It will start the car but once I remove it from the ignition it won't lock or unlock the doors. I have sprayed the battery contacts with electrical contact cleaner. Could the key fob just be toast? I didn't spray the other side of the circuit board.
Where's the best place to get a complete replacement fob programmed to the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update. I thought I was in the clear. Two new fob casings, two new batteries and a new car battery. I got both fobs working. One of them had a badly bent side contact which I didn't notice until I had both fobs open side by side. All worked fine all day until I left the car for a few hours and then neither key would unlock the car. I don't know where to go from here.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
CIM is probably crapping out.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Or bad fobs.
Fobs are cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or bad fobs.
Fobs are cheaper to replace.
I will have the car back this evening and I will give both fobs one more chance to redeem themselves. In the morning I am going to reach out to a local guy to get a new genuine fob for me (He has tech 2) and program it to the car.
If that fails should I look at a new starter module or CIM?

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
You can check fobs condition with TECH2 or you can use frequency meter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts