SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought a 2005 9-3 and I really like it. I have questions about the key fob. My key fob is original and the rubber body has broken down. I want to replace the key fob and buy a second since I have just the single key. It appears that there are two ways to go. Buy an original key fob and have it programmed ($$$$) or buy a "body only" key fob and swap out the electronics from my damaged fob ($). I'm ok with the cheaper plan for the main key but to get a spare key and not spend much money I would have to go with the "body only" fob and no electronics (though with the internal key blank to get cutted). Will the "body only" key fob start the car or are electronics needed in the key fob? Or is the "body only" fob really just a carrier for the internal key? It seems that these are dumb questions but I do know not why there is so much notice given that "no electronics included". Is buying a used one with electronics from ebay ok? Are all 2003 to 2009 9-3 key fobs the same?

Thanks,
Richard

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
welcome to sc.

for the present key just buy a used fob & swap out the electronics..these keys are single use only,you buy a used key and program straight to another car..
If you lose or the only working key fails,it will cost youi more to get the car back up & running than it would to buy a new fob & have it programmed to the car..

·
Registered
581 Posts
welcome to sc.

for the present key just buy a used fob & swap out the electronics..these keys are single use only,you buy a used key and program straight to another car..
If you lose or the only working key fails,it will cost youi more to get the car back up & running than it would to buy a new fob & have it programmed to the car..
+1...just buy any matching style key fob 2nd hand and swap out the internals...only takes 5 minutes...longterm i agree that it would be a good idea to get a 2nd operational key

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.