SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I highly suggest that you get 2 ORIGINAL NEW fobs and marry them to your car ASAP.

YOU CAN NOT USE OLD FOBS!

·
Registered
c900 vert, 04 9-5 5pd wagon, 10 9-5 aero, 11 9-5 XWDsold
243 Posts
I highly suggest that you get 2 ORIGINAL NEW fobs and marry them to your car ASAP.

YOU CAN NOT USE OLD FOBS!
Not knowing enough about the 9-3 keys, I ask can you swap the guts like you can in a 9-5 key?

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
you can swap the electronics over to a new shell as long as everything is in good condition and still firmly attached to the board...but in reality you need as minimum of 2 fobs..

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Yes, but guts need to be married to your car or being brand new and use TECH2 to marry them to your car.

You CAN NOT marry fobs to CIM, unless you have at least 1 married fob OR brand new CIM.

CIM has 5 "key slots" and every married fob "fills" 1 of them. They will be occupied even if you divorce fobs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Amazon has replacement key fob shells for around $20. As long as the "guts" of the old fob work it is an easy job to replace the shell. This is a common problem with all cars that have rubberized key fobs; not a Saab-specific problem.

To @Mimmi's point, if you don't have at least two key fobs that work with your car then get a replacement fob ASAP and get it programmed. They are less than $100 new and programming takes maybe 15 minutes. If you lose your last fob then you're not going to be able to use your 9-3 until it gets a new CIM (expensive) installed and programmed.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Someone showed up at a tech session with an aftermarket fob or shell, I'm not sure which.

The fob worked, in that the remote did its thing and the fob unlocked the steering column lock. However, it could not turn in the ISM. Something dimensionally about the end you insert was off. I was able to turn on the car by holding the fob very close to the ISM and turning the ignition switch with my fingers.

We looked at the damn fob, and it looked fine. We couldn't tell what the issue was. But it wouldn't turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts