SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Every once in a while, maybe once or twice a week, my key fob randomly stops working. It will lock my car, but when I come back, none of the buttons work. Although it's not a big deal, its getting a little annoying having to unlock it manually with the actual key, because the alarm turns on every time I have to do this.

I'm not sure if its related but I've also noticed I have to be in much closer proximity to my car in order for my key fob to work at all compared to my brother with his car..? (also has a 9-3)

I changed the battery, didn't help. Anyone know what it is?

Thank you!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your car locking you out is a safety feature. Basically, if too many buttons get pushed on your remote while it's out of range of the car, the remote disengages. The idea is that somebody can't find your key and then try to locate your car by pushing buttons in a parking lot. The problem is that there's no more than two saabs in a parking lot anyways, so the thief should be able to find the car without mashing buttons. The only way to re-engage the key it is to put it in the ignition and turn the car to 'on.' (you don't need to turn the engine, just flip it to on. save a little gas that way :))

I have tried to find a way to disable this feature but have been unsuccessful. I keep my key in a leather pouch now though. This reduces the possibility that the key wears down (they fall apart over time) and also reduces the amount of times that I accidentally push buttons while out of range.

Unfortunately, if you keep your keys in your pocket, you will innevitably trigger this function. Again, I'd love to disable it but don't know how.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Happens to me as well. I've found that holding the key close to the drivers window and long pressing the 'open' button usually works to open her up. This inevitably doesn't work in the rain when I have grocery bags or some other object, making me look like an idiot trying to throw stuff in the car while jamming the key in the ignition as the alarm is going off!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I actually find this feature to be annoying as i have to re-sync almost every week.
and you're absolutely right about how often do you see 2 saabs in the same parking lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys! so you don't think i have a faulty key fob/reciever unit in my car? Glad I'm not the only one who has to embarrass themselves jumping into the car trying to stop the alarm as fast as possible haha :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! so you don't think i have a faulty key fob/reciever unit in my car? Glad I'm not the only one who has to embarrass themselves jumping into the car trying to stop the alarm as fast as possible haha :D
Looks like your key is fine. Either find a way to mash the buttons less often, or figure out a way to disable this feature (and then post it on here for me). Those are your options.

·
Registered
290 Posts
its even sillier on UK cars

as the door lock is on OUR passenger side :evil:

in fact it happened again to me today ,after 10 hrs climbing around on construction site with a bunch of keys in my pocket

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rochesta- Thanks for the good explanation! I'll look into it some more and let you know if I figure anything out.

Datonyb- Haha I thought I had it bad, but you have to go through your passenger door to put the key in. Now that sucks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can shut off the trunk alarm in the SID, i really don't know why Saab made the car so the alarm goes off when you pop the trunk without unlocking the doors first

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I have key fob problems as well. My key keeps comming unsynced, or at least I think that's what it is doing. If I disconnect the battery and reset everything, my key will start the car, but after sitting in the driveway all night when I come out to start it up for work it's unsynced again and won't start my car. Is the key just bad or whats going on. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Hey guys, I have key fob problems as well. My key keeps comming unsynced, or at least I think that's what it is doing. If I disconnect the battery and reset everything, my key will start the car, but after sitting in the driveway all night when I come out to start it up for work it's unsynced again and won't start my car. Is the key just bad or whats going on. Any thoughts?
You are in the 9-3 forum....

·
Registered
663 Posts
so glad I came upon this thread. Makes so much sense now. I've had this happen to me a few times and I for sure thought I was stranded at the mall, then as soon as I put the fob in the hole it worked. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts