SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those are pretty pricey right now due to the BO I'm sure.

From what I've heard the Saab parts dept. has new management and will begin shipping parts in 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I recently bought an aftermarket 9-3 key fob shell from "remotes.inc" on eBay. Someone else in another thread posted about him so I thought I'd try them out. So far I'm pretty happy with the aftermarket key! The price is right ($40). I didn't want to spend all that money for a key that will go bad again in a year anyways! He also sells the key blade blanks - I haven't tried that part yet though so I can't comment on them.

I'd say it's about 95% like the OEM part but the plastic buttons are made of a much stronger material (they look and feel a lot more durable) and it isn't covered in that rubber that is sophisticated but breaks down after a short period of time. The key blade sticks in there a bit hard (make sure you "ease" it into the new fob a few times to open it up or it may get stuck in there permanently!) but it holds it. Best of all he wants $40 for his part rather than the $200-300+ I'm seeing out there for OEM parts (which will go bad again anyways in no time).

Here's his auction listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=saab&_sacat=0

Note: he has a $34.97 and $39.97 option - the $34.97 is only the front of the shell. For the extra $5 you get the entire shell.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently bought an aftermarket 9-3 key fob shell from "remotes.inc" on eBay. Someone else in another thread posted about him so I thought I'd try them out. So far I'm pretty happy with the aftermarket key! The price is right ($40). I didn't want to spend all that money for a key that will go bad again in a year anyways! He also sells the key blade blanks - I haven't tried that part yet though so I can't comment on them.

I'd say it's about 95% like the OEM part but the plastic buttons are made of a much stronger material (they look and feel a lot more durable) and it isn't covered in that rubber that is sophisticated but breaks down after a short period of time. The key blade sticks in there a bit hard (make sure you "ease" it into the new fob a few times to open it up or it may get stuck in there permanently!) but it holds it. Best of all he wants $40 for his part rather than the $200-300+ I'm seeing out there for OEM parts (which will go bad again anyways in no time).

Here's his auction listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=saab&_sacat=0

Note: he has a $34.97 and $39.97 option - the $34.97 is only the front of the shell. For the extra $5 you get the entire shell.
The difference between the key shell you got and the more expensive ones is that the expensive ones come with the programmable "guts". And truly is a new key and does not require any parts from your old one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The difference between the key shell you got and the more expensive ones is that the expensive ones come with the programmable "guts". And truly is a new key and does not require any parts from your old one.
That *is* true. I take it you were looking for a whole brand new module and are not looking to just repair a damaged key that you already have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts