SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a messege saying that my key battery needs changing. How do you get the back panel off of the key to change out the battery without messing it up, and what kinda of battery will I be looking at?? My key is the all in one key/keyless entry piece.

·
Registered
103 Posts
go to radioshack... they have just about every battery made. otherwise go to the dealer.

the info you see is in the manual... i dont know it off hand but if you getthe back off bring it to radioshack and they should be able to switch it out

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey grod, I had to do this recently. Don't go to Radio Shack. They don't carry the battery. Nobody in the US does. I had to get mine on eBay. I think I got 5 for $5 shipped. If you asked really nice, I might be persuaded into sending you one, or you could hunt one down somewhere else.

Anyway, what you need to do is push something small and blunt into the little hole in the side of the key, and then shove something else down there and pry it open. The latch is large and stubborn, but you can get it.

Pictures and info on where I got the battery HERE

·
Registered
103 Posts
figures... even the battery is hard to get in the US well, i guess thats why they have the SID tell you its like saying "order now and it might get through customs before your stuck with no remote".

G

·
I just took my old battery into an electrical store and they sold me a new one for a couple of bucks..

You will see a very small release hole in the side of the fob, you need to push in something like a paper clip to release. I couldnt do this on mine and ended prying off the back cover.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mine was a 1632. It's my understanding it's common in Europe, but the only thing in all of the US that uses it is this key.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My wife has recently been getting the same message on her 9-5.

It is the CR1632 and so far I have not been able to find a battery in Australia either (though I have not yet tried the dealer).

Luckily my 9-5 uses the older separate transmitter which uses CR2025/2032 (cannot remember which) which is readily available.

So it looks like Saab have managed to standardise in batteries which are not common outside Europe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I will be on the hunt for the elusive battery and I will get back to you guys that are in the States if I find a good place to pick them up.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
As strange as it my seem, try places that sell electronic piezo lighters, they use the same sort of cells. Of course there's always the option of going to your local dealer, who's bound to stock them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taking the back off the key, I notice that there is a sticker on the battery that says 315LD 50 40 936, would that be the model of the battery and do you think that it is possible that I have a different battery in mine??? I know the CR1632 is probably the same..

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think it's just the Saab parts number. I transferred the sticker to the new battery when I changed mine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok Saaby I'm asking really nicely, could you send me a battery if you have some extras???? I'm willing to send you a check for the costs, there's really no sense in having to buy 5 batteries on ebay for one key and have to keep up with the other four for four more years. Let me know, I would be very appreciative.

G

·
GRod please keep trading to a Private Message (PM). Not the public forums, thankyou..

Have you tried e-mailing the ebay people and see if they wouldnt just sell you one.. :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts